Building An Attic?

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by SimpleGuy, 7th Mar, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. SimpleGuy

SimpleGuy Member

Hey guys,

I'm helping a friend with an extension and Reno on his home. After carpenter's got done with the frame, we realised there's plenty of space for an attic.

I just wanted to get some ideas on what can be to widen and heighten the attic. Right now, as seen on the pics, those support beams are limiting the useable space.

Any tips on how to adjust the supporting timbers in order to maximize space?

Note, we don't have council approval for this. It is something we will to sort out, but for now I was just wanting to know what options were available.

Thank you

Attached Files:

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Wouldn't first port of call be to get in a builder? He'll know what needs to be done, what is supporting, what can be removed. He'll be able to quote a cost. Then get approval if the numbers work.

3. SimpleGuy

SimpleGuy Member

Sorry, to clarify, we were looking to get it done ourselves. We can callcthe carpentry but i feel it would go from like 1k in material to at least 5-6k

4. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Will you be doing this as owner builder? You still need to get approval and still need to know what you can remove without jeopardising the integrity of the building. You may even find you aren't allowed to do it.

Marg4000 likes this.
  5. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Those collar ties look to be too low to give you the required height for a habitable room, you will need to put in floor joists as ceiling joists are only 4x2", you'd need to remove the king post and resupport the ridge (and there's more to do).

Yeah but NAH!

6. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Didn't the owner look at the plans and elevation view and think to ask PRIOR ?
    Because those beams in the way are designed/engineered to hold themselves and the plaster.
    Not 6-8 sheets of yellow tounge, all the junk that inevitably will be up there along with you and your mate.........
    Doing it yourselves it will never be compliant.
    Sure it can be done, but will largely involve removal of all existing ceiling beams and replacement with larger one's.
    Best to first ask "how do you intend to get up there"?
    Then ask "how often do I want to get up there" ?
    Then price stairs......
    Then grab a beer and go sit by the pool

7. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

That should have been step 1.

8. Archaon

Archaon Well-Known Member

A time machine would be helpful.