Building a Walk in Robe

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by neK, 1st Jun, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
?

Which layout is preferred

1. Option #1 - Place bed against wall of ensuite.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Option #2 - Place bed under window

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Option #3 - Put bed on the 3.63m wall (either side)

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  4. Option #4 - Create false wall to create Walk in Robe

2 vote(s)
    66.7%
  1. neK

neK Well-Known Member

I'm planning out a renovation and I am trying to figure out the best way to configure the master bedroom.

The size is approximately 5.35 x 3.63.
    With the placement of the current doors / windows, it makes it difficult to place a Queen size bed with bedsides in the right position to optimise the layout.

2018-06-01_14-45-36.jpg

Option #1 - Place bed against wall of ensuite.
    Pro - Optimise use of space, I can have a wardrobe that is 3.63m in length on either 3.63m wall without impacting anything.
    Con - No place to hang a TV and no room for bedsides

Option #2 - Place bed under window
    Pro - Optimise use of space, I can have a wardrobe that is 3.63m in length on either 3.63m wall without impacting anything. Can hang TV, have room for bedsides
    Con - Bedhead is where window is therefore the bedhead will be over the window sill

Option #3 - Put bed on the 3.63m wall (either side)
    Pro - Allow for a 3.63m length wardrobe. Can put bedside.
    Con - No place for TV. Lots of wasted space between bed and wardrobe.

Option #4 - Put a false wall of approx 2.03m with entry points of 800mm on either side (illustrated)
    Pro - Allow for a 3.63m length wardrobe (walk-in style). Can put bed with bedsides on the 3.63m wall. Can hang a TV. Minimise wasted space between bed end and false wall. Can also hang a large 1200 x 1800 mirror on the walk in robe side.
    Con - Makes the bedroom room smaller. Depending on the placement of the wall. Walk in robe may be too narrow and just feel substandard.

If i go with Option #4 and set the fake walk in wardrobe wall at 1.5m, means the master bedroom becomes 3.85m x 3.63m.
    I would only have the hanging space on one wall (approx 500mm deep shelving), therefore the walkway would be 1m in width. Is there an minimum size I can make the walk in robe without it feeling claustrophobic?
    Also, would the size of the bedroom be 3.85 x 3.63 be too small (this is the actual usable space)

Last edited: 1st Jun, 2018
  2. lightbulbmoment

lightbulbmoment Well-Known Member

This is a great sized room i would just put the bed at the door end of the 3.63m wall and build a nice deep 600mm his and hers built in wardrobe. You can always change the door entry to cavity slider however there mainly used for bathrooms. Depends if its essential to have a tv or not. I never have

3. lightbulbmoment

Whatever you do 3.8 x 3.6 still a good room

4. neK

neK Well-Known Member

@lightbulbmoment so you are referring to option #3?

hard to change the door type or location, as the internal walls are actually brick and not plasterboard. Not impossible, just costly and money can spent elsewhere with greater impact.

5. lightbulbmoment

Yes option 3.

Build a nice his and hers built in and the bed at the other end.

6. lightbulbmoment

And change the hinging of the door the other way

Joynz likes this.
  7. housechopper2

housechopper2 Well-Known Member

I would just do a quality BIR where you have illustrated and not a WIR. Can hang the mirror on the inside door of the WIR anyway. If you want a TV too, think of different options like mounting it on a hinge from one of the side walls or one of those pop-up thingies from a cabinet at the foot of your bed Motorized Pop Up TV Lift Kits

8. Bee-mumma

Bee-mumma Well-Known Member

I love the idea of a false wall. It adds some modern touches to the room. Also, when looking at staging furniture it will give the space a sense of being larger than it is. Furniture off the main walls always does. Just make sure you extenuate the verticals on the wall to make them seem higher. One way to do this is vertical shiplack. Then make sure your wardrobe area is as practial as possible. On the opposite side high cubes, and a shelf/rail combo so you can use the area for storage as much as possible without seeing the clutter.