Building a timber retaining wall need help!

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by Elives, 24th Dec, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Elives

Elives Well-Known Member

Hi all,

I'm about to start building a retaining wall because This property i've purchased has massive flooding issues from the run off water of the backyard. the property has a decent slope towards the front.

upload_2016-12-24_18-59-0.png

^ this is the water gushing down the hill when it rained last. and then flooding the laundry area. this is a severe water issue which i'm now fixing by building a retaining wall.

upload_2016-12-24_19-0-26.png

I've gotten rid of the deck (incorrect installation to begin with).

My question is, Because there is so much water. Which timber should i use? Treated hardwood or treated pine? I've been told hardwood is stronger (no brainer) but when it's treated it only goes on 1-2mm on the timber where as the pine it goes in a lot further i assume 10-50%.

does anyone have experience with this?

Cheers, Elives

Last edited: 24th Dec, 2016
  2. mikey7

mikey7 Well-Known Member

Not sure on your question about wood.. but are you going to be doing drainage as well?

Would be a good idea to dig some trenches and put in some pvc pipework to capture the water up above where you're building the retaining walls, and redirect most of the water past the house to the front through the piping (or into stormwarer if you can).

wylie, Beano and Agent30yrs. like this.
  3. Indifference

Indifference Well-Known Member

+1 for drainage.

How high of a retaining wall are you planning? Or are you going to terrace it?

Have you thought about concrete sleepers that look like timber?

wylie and Beano like this.
  4. Elives

Elives Well-Known Member

yea the retaining wall will have a waterproof membrane and 100mm slotted pvc pipe with gravel n geo mesh stuff.

5. Elives

Elives Well-Known Member

The best construction would be a besser block wall. but i'm trying to do it cheap so i've gone the timber route. the retaining wall will be 0.8m high the posts will go down 1m into the ground.

Cheers, Elives

Agent30yrs. likes this.
  6. Agent30yrs.

Agent30yrs. Well-Known Member

Not sure about which wood, but that in itself confirms that i would have to ask why use wood where you have water issues ? I appreciate cost but I'm of the opinion with drainage you do it right or you will be doing it again..

Have you costed out other options ?

wylie likes this.
  7. Elives

Elives Well-Known Member

the side access to the property is 1050mm so i cannot get a excavator in for the foundation for a besser block wall. i believe that as long as the drainage is done right the wall will last the normal 10-20 years. to do besser blocks would be at least 3x the price. and take a lot longer. timber wall i can get dingo in with post digger attachment and have the post holes done in half a day.

8. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

You only need 900 mm for a Bobcat but need a good operator.

Why and where for the waterproof membrane? It's not going to achieve anything - you will need 25 mm course aggregate around the ag drain and geotex fabric over the top. More aggregate over the top.

Plenty of online resources for the design of retaining walls. Koppers have a design manual iirc.

9. Elives

Elives Well-Known Member

Hi Scott,

i'll have the waterproofing membrane on the back off the wall and under it. to help protect the timber. why would this not achieve anything the point of it is to seal the back of the timbers so they don't get any moisture from the water. :s

yea i've figured out how i'm going to do it only thing left is just trying to decide weather to go treade pine or treated hardwood. most forums / online stuff i've searched has come back 50/50

10. Scott No Mates

You'll still get moisture through the end grain. I have a few garden beds made of sleepers - moisture doesn't seem to be a problem.

11. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

The water has to go somewhere. Make sure you put in decent drains that channel the run-off to the stormwater drain. It is illegal to deliberately direct stormwater runoff on to a neighbouring property.

Gravel and slotted ag piping will never cope wth a torrential Queensland downpour. The water will simply run down the yard and cascade over the retaining wall like a waterfall.

Maybe consider a spoon drain running above the length of the retaining wall piped to a stormwater drain or out to the street gutter.

It would be a good idea to get expert advice on the best way to deal with the water run-off.
    Marg

wylie likes this.
  12. CowPat

CowPat Well-Known Member

slotted drain is aggy or sub soil drain to remove the water behind the wall under the ground

retaining wall is to reduce the pitch or fall of the block
    between the the back fence and the road, and to reduce the velocity of the water
    the wall dosnt look like it will be very high and there are plenty of styles of landscaping retaing wall blocks you could use
    - you could maybe make it two tier -

most important thing is too landscape , with the fall being away from the house and towards the road
    - concentrate on your levels water will pool in the low spots
    the driveway can be your friend if you have the fall

get rid of the water above ground with landscaping and spoon drains, or belowground with a stormwater system with sumps and aggy drains
    - but best to have a combo of both -

if you use timber my vote is for * treated pine *

retaining wall blocks - Google Search

bob shovel and wylie like this.
  13. Elives

Elives Well-Known Member

I've decided to go with hardwood h4 timber, I'm getting a dingo and was wanting to know if i should dig 300mm holes or 450mm? i am using super strength concrete 40mpa. is 450mm overkill?

Cheers, Elives

14. Scott No Mates

Depends on the size of your posts

15. Elives

Elives Well-Known Member

should have said haha 200x75, i've decided to go with 450mm

16. Scott No Mates

50mm cover right around is sufficient for inground.

Nail some 6 mm galv spikes into the timber to stop them pulling out of the concrete.

Last edited: 25th Dec, 2016
    Elives likes this.
  17. Tools

Tools Well-Known Member

I'd recommend using steel for the posts rather than timber. Will last longer, look neater and not protrude in to your narrow walkway if you have them on the face.

Tools

wylie and Scott No Mates like this.
  18. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I'd avoid timber for a retaining wall, but if you've made up your mind, then I'd go with the idea (above) of steel posts. At least when the timber rots you may save money next time by re-building the whole thing.

19. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

This is what a reasonably heavy downpour was like in a house where the neighbours for an IP we had in suburban Annerley concreted his back yard without directing his water to the street...

The downhill neighbour wanted us to stop "our" water from entering his yard. Yeah right. That will be easy... NOT!

We did beef up (and clear the silted up) drains behind where I took this photo on the other fence line, but the neighbour complaining needed to realise he had dug his house into the ground without adequate drainage on his own block. And he needed to realise that the water from "our" yard was actually from everyone else further up the hill.

When the uphill neighbour first concreted part of the yard (many years ago) my mother brought the council into it and they made him direct the water to the front instead of into this yard. But then he concreted the back yard too and it became a raging torrent when there was any heavy rain.

IMG_5449.JPG

Marg4000 and Elives like this.
  20. Elives

Elives Well-Known Member

wow haha, so the council made him direct to the "front" as in to the street? surely if he's then later gone and concreted his back yard he should be made responsible for the drainage? :s