Building a Second Storey in Strata Title of Three units

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by RJ27, 18th Jan, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. RJ27

RJ27 Member

Hi Guys
    We live in a strata title of 3 units and two of the owners are ready to build a second storey to the existing unit so we can have more living space in the ground floor and the bedrooms can be shifted to the first floor . Is it possible to get council approval if one strata title is not ready to go ahead with the rebuilding . I read that the strata rebuild rules changed recently where 75 % of the owners can decide for rebuilding in a strata title. Waiting for some advice for experts in this field.
    RJ

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Although you will need professional advice, 75% needs all 3 parties to agree, if one party is not in position to do the works, then agreement should be sought that approval will also be granted in the same vote for the last owner to commence the work at some time in the future & they will not object to the works on the third unit.

3. RJ27

RJ27 Member

Hi Scott

Really appreciate the quick response . We are happy with any agreement so the third unit can go ahead with the rebuild at a later stage . We want to know if the third unit can object with the council approval and stop us from demolish and rebuild . All are double brick units sharing a roof .

4. Baker

Baker Well-Known Member

What's your ball-park cost for such a project?

5. RJ27

RJ27 Member

Knockdown will cost 40k as it's a double brick . 400-450 k for 4 bedroom 2 bath as it's closer to city

6. Baker

Baker Well-Known Member

Knock down? Thought you were adding a storey to the existing structure?

7. RJ27

RJ27 Member

No value for the property if you are adding another floor to 30 year old building. If you spend another 200k . It will be a brand new one with much valuation .

8. bamp

bamp Well-Known Member

But why would the one strata owner agree to have their property knocked down if they don't want the second storey?

Sounds like He/she gains nothing and loses their property?

9. RJ27

RJ27 Member

Only knocking down the first two property . There is no common wall , the roof has to be chopped as it's sharing .

bamp likes this.
  10. Baker

Baker Well-Known Member

Right, so the opposite of your OP:

Forgive my confusion.

craigc and Optimus like this.

PFI provide our clients with the opportunity to purchase an investment property, together with performing equity investments from a wide range of ASX listed securities some providing monthly income. This is the value of advice.