Building a Property Portfolio Impervious to Market Forces....

Discussion in 'Investment Strategy' started by sash, 23rd Jun, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Thanks...I do all the research and make the decisons. Works well for me.

2. ashish1137

ashish1137 Well-Known Member

Hey @sash , I am willing to join your team and do the research, in case you are interested.:D
    :D Hire some newbies in lieu of some tips.
    :D

3. Befuddled

Befuddled Well-Known Member

• His approach is not possible unless you are on high income. The locations where he buys suggests his properties tend to be negatively geared (some possibly quite heavily negative)
    • He tends to be a bit fast and loose with numbers. Funny because he used to be an accountant. He seems to base his projections on properties doubling every 7-10yrs and a year-on-year growth of 10%.

Terry_w, Biz and adrian_christian like this.
  4. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

I watch his show on Foxtel. Always funny where they do the purchase or pass segment where it is usually an inner city eastern suburbs unit going for around 800k renting for $600 a week with strata 2k a 1/4. No doubt the CG is there but how many of those can you really hold On an average income?

Observer, Befuddled and larrylarry like this.
  5. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

He seems to base his strategy on capitalizing interest and pays for holding costs with new borrowings.
    I would imagine he has cleaned up by purchasing inner Sydney properties in the last few years.
    I'm not sure if the outcome using this method would be pretty in a falling market or with recent changes in borrowing capacity no matter what your income is.

6. bez23

bez23 Well-Known Member

Sash, this is a very good read. Thanks for sharing your knowledge and experience.

When you say you have 35% LVR and your strategy is Interest only and money in offset. Do you mean that you deduct the money in offset from loan amount hence creating a lower LVR? Or is it purely from capital growth (which means you do not take equity out to fund new purchase)?

Elives likes this.
  7. Moist

Moist Well-Known Member

Where do we get this education from Leo? o_O

8. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

In my opinion:

1. Property books. Not 1 book, but a variety of them. Most of the newbie mistakes that are made are probably covered in 3-7 books.
    2. Property articles in magazines
    3. Property Chat has a vast amount of knowledge and experienced posters to draw knowledge from.

Those three points have more than enough knowledge to learn from to build many millions in wealth if you wanted to. All thats left is to add commitment and action.

That's all it takes. Its not complicated.

Catalyst likes this.
  9. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Yes that is correct. If I added the amounts in offsets..my LVR would be higher more like 47%

Having said that the amount going to offset as pure cash after paying all expenses and savings is in the order of 10-20k per month.

traveller likes this.
  10. Wukong

Wukong Well-Known Member

@sash that monthly 10-20k is purely from rent or including your massive PAYG? :eek:

11. Dwalsh

Dwalsh Well-Known Member

@sash what is your end goal strategy ? Seems like you buy fairly neutral to positive cashflow houses ? I would like to get to your position, I'm 25 ATM 6 Ip's 2.2 mill worth, I would say about a middle income 125k per year. With your leverage so low wouldn't you be paying tax on your rents ? Positively geared ?

12. bez23

bez23 Well-Known Member

Wow in NSW that is middle income? I am on similar wage but I didn't feel that way until my wife stopped working haha.

Dwalsh likes this.
  13. Dwalsh

Dwalsh Well-Known Member

Haha yeh when your on one income it hurts abit. I started earning that wage at 24years old but always been over a hundred since 21, but seems like a struggle to achieving my goals of retirement around 30 to 35 on that sort of wage

bez23 likes this.
  14. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Yep about 80-100k positive...that why the depreciation from newer houses come in handy. ;)

traveller likes this.
  15. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Both.....but about 50% is from rents...

traveller likes this.
  16. Dwalsh

Dwalsh Well-Known Member

Wow that is awesome! But with such a low leverage how do you manage to get depreciation still ? Wouldn't your portfolio be positively geared ? Congrats as well, that is a real accomplishment. Did you have a really high paying job to achieve this over the years ?

17. sash

sash Well-Known Member

A good job definitely helps...but the more important thing is getting the balance between equity growth and rental income.

18. Eric Wu

Eric Wu Well-Known Member

@sash, when you are available next time, I might need to let you do a portfolio health check for me.

19. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Sure..

Eric Wu likes this.
  20. bez23

bez23 Well-Known Member

A lot of people ask you about exit strategy but wouldn't your current scenario ~10k per month positive be enough to sustain a retirement? That's not even touching your equity.