Building a kit/ Container Investment home in Drouin, Victoria

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Jane56, 1st May, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Jane56

Jane56 Member

Hello,

Just wondering whether I can build a kit home/container home in Drouin.

The house will be a long-term rental home.

I am hoping this will be a cheaper way for me to have a home and increase my cashflow.

1. Are there any issues with the re-sale value?
    2. Any recommendations on which companies to use?
    3. What sort of $$$ should I expect for a 3*2 or 4*2 18sqm decent investment home?
    4. Any past experiences with the council?

TIA

2. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

Finance can be problematic

ta
    rolf

3. strongy1986

strongy1986 Well-Known Member

Kit homes are only of use in two situations

1- owner builders - who do all the hands on / building themselves but dont want the hassle of the planning and purchasing of materials etc

2- Remote location builds - send out all the gear in one container to a location/ town where it is hard to get materials

Container homes - ??? dont even get me started on these , only beneficial if you want to knock together a quick getaway oit in the sticks. As for a build for investment purposes i cant see how they are of any benefit, containers are just too skinny and by the time you make them look like a proper home you might as well just build a proper home

Oher options

Relocate an older home - have personally done this and it worked well but you need to pick the right home and be crystal clear that once the house is relocated, the job is a long way from done - the big companies are rip offs in this space , smaller mobs can normally do the same for half the price - relocated homes are generally not accepted in newer housing estates , check covenants

Transportable/ modular - built in the factory as one or more pieces and transported to site
    probably best suited for country builds in towns where you cant access volume builders - roughly same price as volume build