Building a duplex in the hills area

Discussion in 'Development' started by Rainbow, 27th Jul, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Rainbow

Rainbow Member

Hello everyone,

We are looking into building a duplex in the hills area. This is going to be our first building experience. Our plan is to live in one and rent the other one. I would like to know if anyone has experience in knockdown and rebuild in the Hills Council area? Our property is 710 square metre corner block and R2 zoned. We like to use a private builder (not project home builders). We will appreciate all your advices and recommendations.

L3ha7 likes this.
  2. URBANSIDE

URBANSIDE New Member

Hi Rainbow,

Im a Builder/Designer currently completing twelve town houses with a basement carpark in the hills area at the moment. If you need advice send me a message I'm more then happy to help

L3ha7 likes this.
  3. 6993

6993 Active Member

We have done few duplexes. Feel free to ask any questions. Better is to answer your questions

L3ha7 likes this.
  4. Shahin_Afarin

Shahin_Afarin Residential and Commercial Broker Business Member

What is your reason for wanting to use a private builder vs a project builder. I would strongly recommend using a project builder due to cost unless you are building something that has basement parking, is a unit development or a highly architectural/customised house.

If you are building in the hills I dont think it would warrant to overcapitalise and use a private builder.

Hills council is probably one of the better councils in Sydney - in fact some of their staff are fantastic.

Having said that I'm not a big fan of developing in the hills area due to the massive oversupply and projects in the pipeline. There is just way to many units that have gone up, going up or DA stage. Baulkham Hills is quite shocking. I know you want to live in one and rent the other but everything (including your residence) must make financial sense. Don't want to be a downer but definitely do your homework - the oversupply scares me.

bhojapudur, L3ha7 and GenericName like this.
  5. Rainbow

Rainbow Member