Building a deck over Sewer Line and QDCMP1.4

Discussion in 'Landscaping' started by Luey, 17th Feb, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Luey

Luey New Member

Hi,

I am looking for some advice regarding building a small deck (3x9m) height is approx. 40 cm from the ground) detached from the main house at back of the yard as part of my landscaping project. I have following questions and hope someone can provide expert advice:
    1. based on QDCMP1.4 A2,2 and Figure 15, can I build the deck over or near a Urban Utilities underground sewer pipeline? According to figure 15, it seems I can

2. My friend is happy is happy to build the deck for me. He is not a licensed builder but have experience in building decks.

3. Do I need to engage a building certifier. The deck is classified as light-weight class 10

Many thanks in advance for your expert advice.

Cheers
    Luey

2. RPI

RPI SDA Provider, Town Planner, Former Property Lawyer

1. You will need a build over sewer application, and have to design footings so load is not on or near sewere line.
    2. decks not attached to house and under 1m from height should be exempt from needing builder.
    3. should be exempt also.

Jake Milne likes this.
  3. Luey

Luey New Member

RPI, Thank you for your generous advice. My colleague today mentioned that I may need to apply as an owner builder and draw up plans for certifier to certify the deck. But if build the deck within 10m2, then I don't need certification and or BCC approval. I have approval from Urban Utilities to build deck at 1.5m from the pipeline.

4. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Did you want to build over the sewer? Does the "1.5m away" affect you?
    I had a look at that drawing you quoted, it isn't A QUU drawing and the drawing and QUU differ in what they want. So lucky you checked.

It is very unlikely QUU will need to demolish your deck to access the sewer,so don't let that slow you down.

In your OP it was 3x9m, now only 10m2.big reduction, Have you changed your plans?

5. Geelong Cable Locations

Geelong Cable Locations Member

I tried to see the plan, but can't find where it is attached to your post.

Is the pipe your own sewer going from your property to the main sewer line, or is it the sewer main itself.

Either way, you could probably get away with just building it, it's only a deck, and as long as there are not inspection openings or pits in the area then your will be fine.

The right thing to do of course is get building over sewer consent approved by your water authority or council. But I guess it depends on how long and hard it is to do and if you can be bothered putting in the effort.

If you can then do it.

bob shovel and Jake Milne like this.