building a 2nd story on an old brick house

Discussion in 'Development' started by Finfreedom, 20th Oct, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Finfreedom

Finfreedom Member

Hi All

I am looking at a brick house (1950-1960) which is in decent condition apart from needing a new kitchen and bathroom.
    Additionally we will need to go up one level to get the space needed for our family. Is there a way to get a ballpark estimate on how much these might cost ? Is it in the range of $100-$150k or higher ? or does adding a second storey to an established property usually cost the same as building a new one (e.g. 300k) ?

Thanks for your guidance.

2. Jerms

Jerms Active Member

I'm looking to do this exact same thing too in a year or so, with abudget of 100k or so. Everything I'm reading say you can do it for around $2000 upwards Per SM and $1000-2000 Per SM as an owner builder.
    It is a very open question. I will be talking to some Architects to get a better/more realistic idea of what is achievable for that money later this year or next year.

I'm interested to hear others thoughts.

Finfreedom likes this.
  3. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

I think you will find it hard to get a second storey extension for anywhere near $1,000 per sq metre unless you are actually building it yourself.

And even then, scaffold is not cheap.

Where did you get this price range from?

I would talk to a few builders as well as architects.

4. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

Dont those old brick houses have a small footprint? So you just end up with a small 2 storey house. Anyone who wants a bigger house will want to knock it down, so the extension doesnt have much value.

Pingu1988 likes this.
  5. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

I would think the old plumbing, old wiring and old everything incl poor design and lost space for stairs etc and the structural mods needs for going up a KDR (knock down rebuild) is a better value. You may be surprised what an extention up will cost. Far far more than $150K unless you build it like a hardieboard slap on and it will not add value. Allow 6 months rent too. A basic project build will be better than a 60s house with a small cheap boxy area on top

Pingu1988 and Finfreedom like this.
  6. Tufan Chakir

Tufan Chakir Well-Known Member

Same cost as a new build - after all - it is a new build. Sqm rates are educated guesses. Talk to a quantity surveyor if you need something more accurate

7. Jerms

Jerms Active Member

From what I've read costs can be effectively the same as what you save on not doing the slab/ground work and roofing, you loose on scaffolding and steel beams etc.
    I spoke with my brother in-law who is a builder and project manager, he thinks $2000 per SM is very achievable.
    Until I've spoken to an Architect, got a design that I can do costings against it is very hard to estimate.

My particular property is 1000SM block so plenty of room to move out as an option as well, (there are views and over looking neighbours to consider).

First thing I will be doing is engaging an architect then building a big shed with solar that will tie in with the house. Then on to the extension.

Extensions can come in as more expensive as you have to deal with what is there already and match it all in.

8. datto

datto Well-Known Member

A few steel beams and girders and Bob's your uncle.

I wouldn't worry about the original house footprint because the new level can overhang......garage or carport underneath.

Update the electrical and plumbing to bring it up to scratch.

You can cheaply clad the the first level. Doesn't have to be brick.

Go owner builder and save.

David_SYD likes this.
  9. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Going owner builder won’t necessarily save money. Unless you have carpentry or plumbing skills etc and can do that work yourself.

Pingu1988 likes this.
  10. Jerms

Jerms Active Member

Yes that is what I've been told, you could effectively knock down the lower story and have the upper still standing on its steel beams, fully self sustained.

datto likes this.