Builders warranty repairs

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by Tony66, 6th Jul, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Tony66

Tony66 Well-Known Member

Hi all,
    My IP in Victoria has an issue with movement of front pier in the facade.
    The building process started in 2010 & occupancy permit was issued in October 2011. I bought the IP in 2016.
    My B&P inspection found the issue at the time but my BA managed Vendor to fix the defect. The builder carried out the repair under builders warranty and I have a document from the builder stating it was fixed.
    However it appears to start moving again.
    I am not sure what is the best course now?
    I think the builder is still around and wonder I can still request builder to rectify the issue?
    Should I use my own structural engineering report before I approach the builder?
    My unit is one of the 6 townhouses and has a strata (OC) committee and I emailed my current PM also about this. However they didn't notice this during recent inspection and advertising to re let.
    Thanks in advance.
    IMG_20200706_101504.jpg IMG_20200706_101532.jpg

2. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Is that just a decorative pillar rather than load bearing?

3. vbplease

vbplease Well-Known Member

You would need to contact the builder to get their opinion in the first instance, as they have the right to rectify (provided it is due to a building defect).

Do you have info on the cause of the first movement cracking?

Without knowing exactly how it is constructed, and the surrounding environment - there are too many possible influencing factors to list, which could be causing the cracking, you need to find the cause.. if you're not satisfied with the builder's advice, I would contact a structural engineer.

Tony66 likes this.
  4. Tony66

Tony66 Well-Known Member

Feels like decorative because inside is not solid.

5. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

It is very likely just rendered blueboard or polystyrene then. Might be joined with tape that has failed.

But hard to tell without the construction drawings.

You’ll be wanting to get very specific info from the builder about what will be done differently this time.

Tony66 likes this.