Builder's public liability insurance

Discussion in 'Development' started by doubles08, 24th Dec, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. doubles08

doubles08 Member

I've been trying to get my builder to provide me with his public liability insurance certificate of currency, but he has told me that he's been too busy to do this. He is now bringing on some labourers on site next week, and I'm concerned that he in fact has no insurance against injury.

Should I be concerned? Does any one know if I, the property owner, may be liability to pay for costs of injury that happens on site if the builder does not have any public liability insurance?

2. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

In NSW? Here’s what the Fair Trading website says:

Public liability insurance
    Public liability insurance covers the builder or tradesperson if anyone is injured as a result of the building work. If the builder or tradesperson does not have this type of insurance, you could be liable because you own the property.’
    Insurance

Slightly different question but if he doesn’t have insurance will you be covered for completion if he dies or goes out of business halfway through the build?

3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Public liability insurance does not cover injuries to workers on site, the builder/workers/subbies should have their own workers' compo or loss of income insurance.

Public liability will cover your walls blowing over and demolishing next door's car, a kid who wanders onto the site or damage/injury to people's property not on the land.

Read your contract as to the insurances the builder is to provide, give them a timeframe & issue a stop work notice if they fail to comply.

Last edited: 24th Dec, 2021
  4. doubles08

doubles08 Member

Thanks, the project is not a large one, so we're not concerned about completion, as another builder can just take over. I am just concerned about injuries on site, as these can wipe people out financially.

5. Tufan Chakir

Tufan Chakir Well-Known Member

If it does go pear shaped, be aware that other builders may not want to take over.

Joynz likes this.
  6. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

This is not covered by public liability - workers are not the public or 3rd party invitees on site.