Builders Licence

Discussion in 'Development' started by nap33, 24th Feb, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. nap33

nap33 Member

Hi All,

I am sure this questions has popped up previously - but i would like to know what everyone believes the pros and cons of attaining a builders licence are ? and ultimately is it worth attaining?

2. TML

TML Well-Known Member

it costs approx $5000 to do the course and if you are in NSW one would need at least 2 or more years of experience with a license builder.

are you looking at getting a builder license ? i too had the same thought

Perthguy likes this.
  3. nap33

nap33 Member

Yes i am looking at getting the licence. I currently have the degree and also the experience although i need to complete the Cert IV Building Course - which will only take me 6 weeks. Although price i am unsure of for this. Is it $5k for the Cert IV?

Perthguy likes this.
  4. Ace in the Hole

Ace in the Hole Well-Known Member

You need time, experience and starting capital to make it useful, and enjoying the building game also helps.
    In the end, you'd be running a business, so you'd need good sales and networking skills too.
    I got about 1/2 way through mine a while back while working in the industry, but didn't complete.
    No regrets not finishing now as I would not want to run a building business anyway, and would rather act as an investor for anything involving developments and real estate.
    Again, it's a business which simply needs a qualification to operate.
    In my opinion, running a building business as a small operator is a lot of work as you're doing about 10 different jobs all at once.
    If you grow into a decent sized business and get lots of capable staff on board, it should be much easier.

SOULFLY3 likes this.
  5. TML

TML Well-Known Member

yes for cert iV. may i ask what degree do you have?

6. TML

TML Well-Known Member

yes agree with Ace.

I was watching a webnair not long ago and there is a big difference between being a builder and a developer/investor.

will try to find the link to it but mainly the end profit differs between the developer being an investor and a builder working as a business.

7. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

A lot of building companies I have dealt with over the years were not even run by builders. Generally they came from a background of project management, marketers and accountants. They just need a builder on the books to be considered a builder.

thydzik, SOULFLY3 and bob shovel like this.
  8. melbournian

melbournian Well-Known Member

the warranties with the 7 years is too cumbersome. You do a few projects with some owners who are difficult and you're pay with half the time to answer their queries.

9. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

@Scott No Mates knows plenty about this (I've asked before)

Also look into the cpd (the ongoing learning BS) points you need to get and what's required yearly. It's not a simple, get the license and use as needed type of thing. There's a lot more to it thanks to lots of shonky operators

As mentioned above for a business, go for it. But if investing/developing, palm the responsibility off to someone else

Hanison and Sackie like this.
  10. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

You gotta go Lebanese style pal, liquidate dat company after every job!

larrylarry, Chabs, Brian84 and 3 others like this.
  11. bob shovel

@Biz haha heads up you'll get reported for that... the mob is coming for you:eek:

12. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

COME AT ME BRO!!!

They can come at me all they like, I did a lot of apartment work for Lebanese builders and every job your dealing with the same people but a different company.

bob shovel likes this.
  13. bob shovel

haha all good. i made a reference previously about the automobile industry

14. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

I got mine a few years ago and getting it is a PITA. So much unnecessary BS involved i nearly pulled out mid way through.

You have to renew it and your insurance every year. If you have no cash or assets good luck getting insurance. If you can't get insurance your builders licence is useless.

15. Brian84

Brian84 Well-Known Member

If this is the case where you have the experience and knowledge then I know a legit place which is recognised by fair trading and you don't have any tests or courses. You just provide the evidence and pay your fee and get your licence.

16. nap33

nap33 Member

General vibe i keep getting from everyone - didn't hit me that insurance was a requirement but it does make sense now you have mentioned it.

are you able to share @Brian84 ?

17. nap33

nap33 Member

Very valid points Ace. What was the reason for not completing yours? Was it too much work or was it just a case of personal interest?

18. Brian84

Unique trades recognition. They are at Revesby nsw. 1300 864 783. They had testimonials on their website last time I checked.

19. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

They all look the same to me ;)

Hodge likes this.
  20. Brian84

How did you go with the builders licence. I'm thinking about doing it now. It is a 17week course because I already have experience and costs $3250.