Builders for town houses units Brisbane area cheap ones

Discussion in 'Development' started by Katie, 11th Dec, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
?

Building a townhouse North or buying another in Logan

1. Townhouse Kallangur

6 vote(s)
    75.0%
  2. House Logan big block

2 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. Katie

Katie Well-Known Member

hello all just wondering if anyone has done townhouses in North Brisbane looking at doing one I would like a custom built one split within 2 levels 2 kitchens so I can rent upstairs and downstairs kinda like was Ian Ugarte teaches in his HMO course.

2. Katie

Katie Well-Known Member

Has anyone ever had anything built like small is the new big HMO type houses so instead of one lot of rent you are getting 3 or 4 lots of rent coming in they are custom built places so 2 or 3 separate areas bathrooms kitchens I think this type would be good in Moreton bay with the new uni next year,

3. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

You had better read up on regulations regarding dual occupancy in the area where you intend to build. You may need the correct zoning.

Rules vary between councils. If you are in the Brisbane city council area, they are particularly strict.

Just because you can do it in Sydney, or some guru says you can in a course, does not necessarily apply to all areas.
    Marg

Angel and Katie like this.
  4. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

It may also come under boarding house policies instead of dual occupancy.

Best to talk to the local council and see what steps you need to comply with as your first call as if they don't allow it then you don't need to go any further.

Katie likes this.
  5. Katie

Katie Well-Known Member

Hello Marg I am in the right zoning for town houses but yeah Moreton bay council might be pretty strict.

6. Katie

Katie Well-Known Member

There like micro apartments I just think it’s a way better way as there’s a bit of a over supply of town houses atm and this would be a great cash cow but would probably cost way more to build as well but worth it if you are doubling your income I don’t think bcc are to tough with this type of stuff Moreton bay might be but.

7. NHG

NHG Well-Known Member

You're referring to NGBH regulations.
    It's a state legislation, basically the latest boarding house regulations.

It's not about finding the cheapest builder.
    That usually leads to incredible headaches, non-compliance, and insane variations. I see people mess this up all the time.

You are after a knowledgeable qualified, experienced builder.
    You pay a little more up-front, it will cost you less in the long run.
    Particularly for boarding houses, which require a level of expertise that run of the mill resi-builders wouldn't have.

As for zoning, as mentioned above, the area has to allow for this construction at that location. Just cause you physically can build it, doesn't mean you're allowed to. Even if you are, you might find you'll end up in Land and Environment court battling it out with the neighbours.

You're looking for answers, that's fantastic. Keep at it. There's a lot to learn.

Archaon, Lindsay_W and Katie like this.
  8. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Never heard of “micro apartments”!

What are they? Studio apartments, each fully self contained, or sharing kitchens etc? Good luck getting that through the BCC unless in high residency zoning. Even then.......
    Marg

9. NHG

NHG Well-Known Member

She's either talking about NGBH, or more likely about multi-room resi. Not boarding house, simply constructing a home with a smarte layout - additional wet-bar, and privacy areas, then renting by the room.

There's a few grey areas that keep you within the law.
    Totally legal - criteria depends on Council.

As for micro-apartments, this was a thing for a short period of time. It was a relaxation of the minimum dwelling size. It didn't have enough time to take-off before the legislation was modified. At least in Sydney.

Goodbye to micro apartments as NSW increases minimum size of new studios

I definitely think as time goes by, we'll go the German way. Tenants buy their own kitchens (fitouts). Landlord only provides the walls, and fittings.

Last edited: 12th Dec, 2018
    That Finance Guy and Katie like this.
  10. Katie

Katie Well-Known Member

Nhg do you know how many people is the limit for a share house in Qld looking at 5 max in one of my property’s I own is it over 5 where it had to be turned into boarding.

11. NHG

NHG Well-Known Member

Hey.

Qld isn't my stomping ground so I'm only vaguely familiar with the rules.

5 sounds about right before you need to do a Council approved conversion from memory.

Similar to NSW, needs to be related parties over 4 people. The definition of related is vague.

I would recommend you reach out to some professionals in the area. There's a large community there who play in this space.

12. NHG

NHG Well-Known Member

Just realised you are talking about setting up a boarding house in Logan.

I would also be talking to local agents to see if there is an actual need in the area for this. I'm not sure. I've heard a lot of people look at setting them up there, yet nobody I know has as yet. Makes me question wether there is a need, or if it's worthwhile.

Say you have 5 bedrooms, but the room rental rate is only $120 (made-up number).
    $120*5 = $600/wk.
    Normal rent is $320/wk.
    Difference = $280.
    Then minus bills/cleaner/gardener.

So you're making an extra $150/wk. Is it worth it if 1 vacancy wipes your additional profit? Seems like a lot of extra work for no reason.

Baby steps, however you really want to be clearing an extra $500/week post expenses to make it worth while IMO. With time, that minimum target will go higher as you learn how to maximise profits.

Many people do it for chump change, better off driving uber. Less headache, and with the spare time, you can go do some renos or subdivisions which will be more profitable.

Katie likes this.
  13. Katie

Katie Well-Known Member

Hell no im not starting a share house in Logan what a nightmare I have one in Moreton Bay close to the uni I couldn’t think of anything worse then starting one there no thanks.

14. Katie

Katie Well-Known Member

I agree not worth the headaches of doing it the vacancy’s the headaches at least $500 a week I will be installing solar panels on the roof as well to save power costs.

15. mr_alex

mr_alex Well-Known Member

Hi Katie, just wondering how you are going with this? Have you taken more steps towards converting your place?

David the Dave likes this.
  16. gach2

gach2 Well-Known Member

Its from 18 months ago

Expect to pay through the roof in QLD for a niche product (unless you do it at a large scale)

Theres another post about HMO (5 30m2 microunits and I believe the person paid just under 400k construction) -