Builders/Developers - Organising telecommunications

Discussion in 'Development' started by JValk87, 15th May, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. JValk87

JValk87 Member

This is more of a general question than anything else, as I am employed in this field- but want to know more - considering starting my own company.

1) When building, how do you go about organizing telecommunications? I'm assuming you reach out to a Telecommunications Design & Build company? Or do you reach out to a company that handles all utilities at once?

2) Are there any gold standards as to how much you would pay? (ie designer by the hour, fixed quote for design & construct), etc.

Cheers,

2. euro73

euro73 Well-Known Member Business Member

The beautiful Hills District, Sydney Australia
    Do you mean connecting NBN, or do you mean cabling a house up for a home network/.smart home ?

3. JValk87

JValk87 Member

So I'm a designer, but I'm referring specifically to the design & build of pit & pipe network, usually a PVC pipe running up to and capped just outside the pit in the street.

After you finish construction and someone moves in, NBN or Telstra come out and haul the cable in (I do know that part also, but less relevant to developers).

4. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Are we talking a one house or two duplexes or requiring diverse feeds from different streets on commercial/mixed use/apartment towers?

Usually the design for a residential service would be left with the sparky to run the conduit from the pit to the external Luka box (or equivalent for NBN).

NBN requires a developer application to be made for the works nbnco.com.au

5. JValk87

JValk87 Member

It could be anything.

But thanks- it makes sense to go through your sparky.

6. lixas4

lixas4 Well-Known Member

The telecommunication requirement is stated on the planning permit for the subdivision (in vic, might be similar in other states aswell?), which in most cases is administered by the land surveyor/planner handling the subdivision.

For small townhouse subs, we provide our clients with a recommendation of a few design and construct companies, but also ask the client to discuss with their builder/electrician as well, in case they are suitably qualified or have their own recommendation.

There are two parts, the design and satisfaction of the permit requirements (compliance documentation), and the actual works or construction of the telecommunications infrastructure to connect, or get ready for connection (placing conduits).

For a smaller subdivision (2 lot townhouse) we need the form 1 & 2 and provisioning letter to satisfy council, and connection or a conduit to any pits out front. If there are no pits out front, there may be a need to upgrade the street infrastructure which can take time and money.

Most builders/electricians now understand that their are requirements that need to be met in this space, but a few years ago it wasnt the case as the requirements were being hashed out, and some councils allowed some incomplete applications through, and others not.

One of the main companies we recommend is mcs connect, council officers also have told me they really like their paperwork. They have fixed price compliance documentation preparation (about 600 for a two lotter), and i think quote for works. For smaller subs, most of the time the onsite builder/elect does the works, and mcs connect or similar company prepares the sub compliance documents.

For our larger estates subs that we are managing, our engineers are normally handling and administering all the services construction, and employ a design and construct company to handle both the tele design and construction, this is done in discussion with the civil contractor as they will be digging the trenches for them to lay the cable in. It normally works out to be around 1200 a lot.

For our apartment subs, we normally only handle the subdivision so are normally less hands on then with our estate subs, or smaller two lotters. So the builders have normally organised with design and construct and we just followup with getting the correct paperwork.

So to summarise, to find clients you could approach surveyors, planners, engineers, builders and electricians.

38215 and Westminster like this.
  7. 38215

38215 Well-Known Member

Sorry for waking a zombie thread...

can anyone recommend an MCS Connect equivalent in Perth?

Tired of sifting through all the 'website: we also do' ... 'in person: oh yeah not sure, I can look into that for you'

8. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

Try e-consulting engineers or ground civil

Both generally are OK with doing small jobs too but like with any trade it all depends on their current workload.

Alternatively you could pay someone like jay at vision surveys to just handle the whole thing for you, by the time you factor in the likelier sharper rates he can obtain for various services plus the ability to source reliable trades at a time like this and rhe general time saving you'll find its often well worth it.

Not sure how far along you are but something to consider. I can certainly vouch for his competence and efficiency

lixas4 likes this.
  9. lixas4

lixas4 Well-Known Member

Talk to your land surveyor/engineer, they should have recommendations for you.