Builder refusing to provide As-Builts for new home

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by Jester, 14th Aug, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Jester

Jester Active Member

Hi all,

We’re just bought a new 2 storey home from quite a reputable builder.

After handover, we asked for As-builds of the home to be provided so that we had a copy of the mech, electrical and hydraulic plans of the house to understand how things are hooked up.

The builder has refused saying it’s company policy not to provide it and no other reason provided.

Is this normal practice? Is there a legal requirement for this to be provided to the owners so that the property can be maintained property?

I can’t see why it can’t be provided. Would appreciate your thoughts on this.

Thanks.

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

You haven't advised if this was an OTP, project home, D&C, owner-builder, kit home or relocatable home but in all instances the following apply:
    • Only if it is stipulated in the contract
    • No requirement to provide plans unless it is stiplulated in the contract
    • The preparation of as-builts comes at a cost to the builder, are you prepared to pay for the preparation of the drawings? Why don't you request a copy of the approved plans or construction drawings or approach council/certifier for a copy?
    If you had engaged an architect, they should provide you with the plans for review/approval.

Last edited: 14th Aug, 2019
    TMNT, Dan Wood, Sackie and 1 other person like this.
  3. Jester

Jester Active Member

[QUOTE="
    • The preparation of as-builts comes at a cost to the builder, are you prepared to pay for the preparation of the drawings? Why don't you request a copy of the approved plans or construction drawings or approach council/certifier for a copy?[/QUOTE]
    I'd be happy with design drawings too.. Just want to know how everything is was designed to be hooked up :)

4. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

I'd be happy with design drawings too.. Just want to know how everything is was designed to be hooked up :)[/QUOTE]

You could just order a copy of the construction plans from Council. Wouldn’t they include a lighting plan?

5. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Was the builder the seller or was it another owner?
    You could ask for a set of plans from the old owner if it wasn't the builder.
    Alternatively the Council is another source
    I find it odd that the builder won't supply unless the old owners have asked them not too. The warranty of work transfers to you so you I would have thought it would be quite simple for them to furnish you with a copy