Builder Recommendations - WA

Discussion in 'Development' started by theperthurbanist, 28th May, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. theperthurbanist

theperthurbanist Well-Known Member

Hi guys,

I am about to send out my DA plans for builder quotes and am keen on peoples thoughts on the below shortlist of builders. The project is a compact single-story dwelling in Parkwood. End product will be retained to rent with a target rent ~$400/wk; or sale price around $450k.

I'm aiming to achieve 7-8 Star NatHERS energy efficiency and implement a number of other sustainable features, so I am definitely favoring builders with demonstrated experience delivering sustainable homes.

Shortlist so far:

Smaller builders/sustainable builders
    • Sadhana Constructions
    • Right Homes
    • MyGen/Highbury Homes
    • Sovereign
    • Jubilee Home Builders
    Volume builders:
    • New Choice Homes
    • Ross North Homes
    • Ventura ID
    • Summit Projects
    • Dale Alcock Developments

So in summary: i'm looking for a builder that will deliver 'better than average' investor product at a good price with bonus points and be competent in delivering sustainability features (do I ask too much :rolleyes:?). Oh and I forgot to mention I'm pretty needy so good communication is key!

I will probably tender to four builders in total; two or three of the smaller/sustainable guys and one or two of the volume builders.

Keen to hear people's thoughts/experiences with the above builders (or any other obvious ones).

2. Big Daddy

Big Daddy Well-Known Member

@wrexter built with New Choice Homes

theperthurbanist likes this.
  3. theperthurbanist

I've since found out that New Choice Homes aren't a 'volume' builder at all: they do around 100 completions a year.

4. Big Daddy

Big Daddy Well-Known Member

Expect New Choice and Ross North to deliver a better product and a higher price then the three below them. Like I mentioned before do not pay a premium for Dale as the quality has dropped.

Sovereign is really good but I believe would be a little more expensive than Ross North.

theperthurbanist likes this.
  5. theperthurbanist

Agreed

6. theperthurbanist

Also found out that VenturaID (as well as a number of other Ventura/BGC brands) no longer exists as a brand - having been rolled into the BGC Group.

From what I understand BGC are no longer playing in the ‘developments’ space.

Propin likes this.
  7. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

Yes and Perceptions have a name change too! https://www.perceptions.com.au/our-design/

8. Leslie

Leslie Well-Known Member

Who did the DA plans? Can you please recommend list of good planners who can do the DA plans for three townhouse development including getting approval from the Council. thanks

9. theperthurbanist

Hi @Leslie ,

@Angad Singh and the team at Sadhana Constructions did the design and DA approval, and did a great job on both accounts. Happy to recommend them and Angad will be more than happy to have a chat with you.

I am actually a town planner + urban designer myself, though depending on your strategy (type of subdivision/title) and the complexity of your project you may get away without engaging a planner. Either way I’m happy to have a chat if you want to PM me.

10. Leslie

Leslie Well-Known Member

11. Leslie

Leslie Well-Known Member

Thank you. I discussed with Angad previously. Will get in touch with him when I am ready.