Build Internal Wall

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by SAFA RAMZAN, 8th Dec, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. SAFA RAMZAN

SAFA RAMZAN Member

Hi Everyone,

I bought house which is 2 bed and 1 bath. The 3rd bed room wall was removed to extend lounge room. The structure of wall is still there. I was wondering how much is it cost to build non bearing wall with wardrobe in Campbelltown area?

Also how much does it cost to remove a small wall (bearing) to make open layout? Small wall is in between kitchen and lounge room.

Regards

Safa

2. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Best to get a builder and structural engineer to have a look. Otherwise everything else you hear is just conjecture.

3. SAFA RAMZAN

SAFA RAMZAN Member

Hi All,

I have attached image where wall will needed to be installed

Attached Files:

4. Jenko21

Jenko21 Member

Hi Safa,

I just came across your post. I am in a similar situation to the one you have described. Also bought a 2 bedroom, 1 bathroom house, where the 3rd bedroom wall was removed and I would like to build the wall back.

Just wondering how did you go? Did you end up having the wall reinstated? And did you remove the small wall between kitchen and lounge? I am also considering doing this for my house.

5. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Unlikely the OP will answer, since he's only done 5 posts, nearly a year ago now. Building an internal wall is easy. Any GOOD handyman should be able to do the job. It's just framing & plasterboard, unless you want power points, in which case you'd need an electrician as well. Removing a wall is more complicated, especially if it's load bearing. We've just done that in a reno we're doing. You need an engineer to design, and a builder to do the work and sign off that he's followed the plan. Some builders will do the job, say they've followed the plan & DONT. Costs vary!

Our's was very cheap, got multiple quotes & half the builders didn't impress us. Eventually used the guy next door (builder), who did it very cheap with Hubby's assistance, and did it EXACTLY to plan, which it needed to be because we're going to be selling. Engineer over engineered some brackets, which resulted in something that had to be custom made, but a friend who does that kind of work made them for free, so all good. He got a very nice bottle of booze & we got the brackets, so all good.

Suze39 likes this.
  6. shelleykins

shelleykins Well-Known Member

H
    Hey skater. Do you remember if that had to be council approved to put the wall back in?

I've got a 110 year old miners cottage that the previous owners removed a wall from, but they retained the surrounds (similar to OP's photo). This potentially could be replaced and converted to 3rd bedroom (meets requirements for height, windows etc). I'm unsure if council have on file that it's a 2 bedroom house but it has definitely been advertised as 2 bedroom for previous online listings since I've owned it and when I purchased it from previous owners. I'm not sure when they purchased it whether it was listed as a 2 or 3 bedroom house as that was before the internet!

I'm looking at selling it and 3 bedroom would sell for more $ than 2 (it has alternative living spaces) but I don't want to come unstuck if council have it listed as 2 (I don't believe I could legally advertise it as 3 anyway if council have it as 2 BR). How do council determine whether it's 2 or 3 bedroom in a house of this age? I guess the obvious answer here is to check with council! :rolleyes::oops::p

7. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Generally, adding a non load bearing wall does not need a permit as it isn’t a structural change. In VIC at least.

However, it doesn’t hurt to check with council

shelleykins likes this.
  8. shelleykins

shelleykins Well-Known Member

Yes I think I'll just give them a call. Thanks Joynz.

9. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Geeze, that's a large miners cottage.

I grew up in a miners cottage in a little town called Wombarra in the northern suburbs of Wollongong. It was similar to other homes around there, and none of them were very big. Ours was the size of a one-bedder. The bathroom came off of my parents room & so did my sister's bedroom, which was only large enough to fit a single bed. Today, you'd call that space a WIR. My bedroom was a similar size but a bit longer. It used to be the verandah. Family before us, had 7 kids in there.:eek:

Anyway, Council will not have plans on an old miners cottage. If it's non-load bearing you shouldn't have any troubles at all.