Build front fence, do I need a land surveyor?

Discussion in 'Development' started by t0087669, 1st Aug, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. t0087669

t0087669 Member

Hi guys,

I have purchased my first home. and found that a front fence is needed to add privacy and noise reduction from the street.

for building a front fence, do I necessary need a land surveyor for it? (as they are not cheap). Or I can just build front fence from point to point from my neighbours fence (obviously letting them know)?

Thanks heaps

2. lixas4

lixas4 Well-Known Member

First step is to work out if you need a permit to build the fence. If you do, council may require a survey. Talk to them to see.

Land Surveyor.

3. t0087669

t0087669 Member

thanks for the reply.
    I did call the council about this matter.
    the lady helping me sent me this email:

BUILDING REGULATIONS 2018 (SR NO 38 OF 2018) - REG 89
    Front fence height
    (1) If—
    (a) an allotment is in a zone of a planning scheme specified in Schedule 6; and
    (b) a schedule to that zone specifies a maximum height for a fence, or part of a fence, that is within 3 m of the street alignment at the front of an allotment
    the height of a fence, or part of a fence, that is within 3 m of the street alignment at the front of that allotment must not exceed the relevant maximum height specified in that schedule.

(2) If subregulation (1) does not apply, the height of a fence, or part of a fence, that is within 3 m of the street alignment at the front of an allotment must not exceed the relevant maximum height specified in Table 89.

A declared road 2 m

Any other street 1·5 m

(3) The report and consent of the relevant council must be obtained to an application for a building permit in relation to a design that does not comply with this regulation.

From my understanding from the email. my house's is in the zone where the fence is 2m for declared road, and 1.5m for any other street. (My house will be the 1.5m max height)

Does that mean I only need a permit or consent from the council if I want to build a 1.8m fence for example based on point (3)?

thanks again

4. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Permit-exempt heights for brick or wooden fences usually differ in Melbourne.

Based on the text, you can build a 1.5 metre height fence without a planning permit.

But best to just ask Council - preferably by email.

lixas4 likes this.
  5. SamK

SamK Active Member

Hi,
    I am a Land Surveyor is Perth. Most of the time people do not get us to set out their new front fence. Its only after they or the council realise that it is in the wrong spot that we come and mark out where they need to move the new fence to.
    If you want it done as cheaply as possible ask them just to place the front pegs and not the whole lot re-establishment. Tell them you are not in a hurry and they can do it whenever they are in the neighborhood over the next few weeks.
    Sam

Ethan Timor and Tom Rivera like this.
  6. theperthurbanist

theperthurbanist Well-Known Member

side note: what sort of ‘fence’ are you building? I wouldn’t expect much noise mitigation from anything less than a brick ‘wall’.

housechopper2 likes this.
  7. t0087669

t0087669 Member

Thanks for the advice, I tried that with one of the local company, was quoted 50 dollars off of the all boundaries pegged, claimed that it is not that much extra work to have all boundaries measured.