Crypto Buffet & Munger Deride Bitcoin as "Swapping Turds"

Discussion in 'Other Asset Classes' started by Comrade 1984, 4th Mar, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Bunbury

Bunbury Well-Known Member

Please prove it.

2. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

3. Bunbury

Bunbury Well-Known Member

Last edited: 10th Jun, 2021
  4. Simon Hampel

He didn't say that - he said he used BPay to pay the ATO

5. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

They don't but there are crypto to BPay services. I've done it. Works great!

Bunbury likes this.
  6. Skuttles

Skuttles Well-Known Member

"Here's a real world use case of how crypto is disrupting current encumbents"

How is your example disruption? Isnt that just the addition of another layer into a funds transfer?

Using a middle man (RelayPay) to transfer payment via an EXISTING method (Bpay) seems inneficient, not disruption.

I'm still waiting to see a real world purpose for crypto, it's speculation for me till then. Money to be made for sure, but not a revelation just yet.

marty998, charttv and Bunbury like this.
  7. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

8. Laker

Laker Well-Known Member

9. Simon Hampel

*Central American

:p

geoffw likes this.
  10. Laker

Laker Well-Known Member

Yes! But I was more referring to a number of South American politicians signalling support on Twitter!

11. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

All the ones that export the white stuff?

12. 2FAST4U

2FAST4U Well-Known Member

Democratic People's Republic of Australia
    Bitcoin has little to no intrinsic value because a Bitcoin doesn't physically exist, it can't be used to make anything unlike metals and gems. It also isn't linked to any national finance system (although El Salvador has recently adopted it), so there's no official value to the currency.

The Bitcoin community have agreed to use Bitcoin as money. So even though Bitcoin isn't backed by any government it's backed by the Bitcoin community. This means that Bitcoin only has value because people say it has value. That is not intrinsic value, but rather value based on demand. If somebody is willing to pay $50,000 dollars for a Bitcoin, then Bitcoin (to that person, on that day) has a value of $50,000. There is no government entity guaranteeing the value of Bitcoin, so the value is entirely determined by the people using or trading in Bitcoin.

Supporters of Bitcoin will argue that Bitcoin has rarity but Bitcoin's isn't physically imposed, it's technologically imposed. Bitcoin has little to no intrinsic value, only the value set by the market and influenced by the self-imposed limitations on supply. If tomorrow, the demand dries up and the market says Bitcoin has zero value, then it will have zero value. The whole purpose of Bitcoin was initially supposed to be for online transactions. However, even if you find a merchant that accepts Bitcoin the pricing and volatility of it don't make it a viable payment method because you don't know the real spending power of your Bitcoin from day to day.

Bitcoin is still an unproven technology/currency at this stage and there have been a plethora of virtual currency schemes that have been floated over the past 15 years or so such as Dexit, DigiCash, eCache, eCash, Internet Cash, Pecunix, WebMoney etc. What all these virtual currencies have in common is that they are failures.

In conclusion I see too many risks with Bitcoin for myself to invest in it personally. There's the risk the price will drop, there's the risk that your Bitcoin exchange or wallet will get hacked, which would wipe out your holdings. There's also the risk that you won't be able to find buyers when you want to sell, leaving you holding a bunch of worthless digital currency. I wouldn't be able to sleep at night having that level of risk and Bitcoin's volatility so I'll stick with the share market.

13. Comrade 1984

Comrade 1984 Well-Known Member

14. Simon Hampel

No idea - I've not used them and don't own any bitcoin. Website says office is in Sydney CBD.

I only posted it to prove that it is possible to do what was asserted (pay ATO via BPay using bitcoin). Definitely not an endorsement of this business!