Budget external cladding -need help

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by catsteve, 12th Sep, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. catsteve

catsteve Active Member

I am considering purchasing a property with a 1960's home (timber frame) that is clad in asbestos.
    The asbestos is cracking and deteriorating. my Plan would be to remove asbestos and re-clad. The tiled roof is in good nick.

As this is not an area of expertise i could use some ideas for what to use and cost per sqm . needs to be cheap and look reasonable.

Thanks in advance

steve

also i am reasonably handy so DIY products are ok

2. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Can you clad over the top? How bad is it?? (is this doable?) Csr have heaps of products out there or good old weather board
    Even blue board and rrnder

WestOz likes this.
  3. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

Have you had a quote for this?
    Without seeing it, I agree with Bob as an option.
    Depending how bad the current cladding is (perhaps some patching) another option could be spraying it

bob shovel likes this.
  4. Brian84

Brian84 Well-Known Member

I would say blueboard and render or blueboard and set all the joints, screw/nail holes and then paint it.

I would say if the asbestos isn't badly damaged then just screw new cladding over the top to save on removal and dispose of the asbestos.

Sackie and bob shovel like this.
  5. 2935

2935 Well-Known Member

What about Extruded Polystyrene.
    Recladding which is then redendered. Ends up looking like rendered brick.
    it is also an insulator. your old fibro house ends up like and esky......and a lot more pleasant to live in.

Brian84 likes this.
  6. Hanison

Hanison Well-Known Member

Blue board, Timber moulding over joints, paint.

7. Agent99

Agent99 Well-Known Member

I would probably go "Render Panel" polystyrene covered with a factory hard coating then render to choice of colours to suit the area your in. Large panels 1.2m wide so cover large area, joints need to be taped and flushed, corners need angle and flush. Easy to fit and Dulux has a range of excellent paint systems to choose from. Pros..looks amazing.
    Cons..sell soonish as can move a little on some joints over time.:cool:

8. neK

neK Well-Known Member

Is it a flip or a buy and hold?

9. Tonibell

Tonibell Well-Known Member

Dragging up an old thread .....

We are fixing up my parent’s home for sale - great block and nice brick house but in poor condition. Looking to do a cosmetic Reno to bring house back to average condition.

There is an asbestos garage with cracked sheets and some holes - about 50 metres of board. Quote to remove asbestos is $1,800 but thinking that I could glue and screw blue board on as is mentioned here - maybe just side walls.

Don’t want to overspend but equally want to be sensible about it.

Any suggestions or tips?

10. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

If you don't remove it, it'll still be visible from the inside. If it is cracked, you haven't fixed the problem (exposed/poor condition of asbestos etc). Better off to spend the small amount in remediation than to forget about it imho.

housechopper2 and bob shovel like this.
  11. Tonibell

I kind of agree and have changed my mind a few times - taking the asbestos seems maore of a challenge compared to covering it (probably inside and outside).

Once the wall comes up the garage needs to be propped up and reclad quite quickly. Also the asbest has been cut around the beams coming down from the roof. Carpenter said 2 men x 2 days for him to reclad - so it get quite expensive for an old garage.

Other option was to demolish all together as there is a carport - but a garage would be useful I think (during the reno and for a new owner or renter). Depends how much the asbestos stresses them out (or the valuer).

I was liking to general mood of this thread of patch, cover etc and I'm leaning in that direction. This is the budget cladding thread after all.
    So much to do, so much to spend - and it is someone else's money !

12. bob shovel

@Tonibell is that the only asbestos on the property?(roof walls bathroom? ?) If so I'd lean towards removing it.
    But check with the selling agent as to how much if a deterrent it will be and how the local market feels about it. You don't want to get a buyer then the building and pest draws attention to it and buyer pulls out.... or like some (short arm, deep pocket) investors around here they'll sting you for -$10k with bargaining tactics!;)

Scott No Mates likes this.
  13. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

You shouldn’t hide asbestos by cladding over it - you are putting future owners and tradies at risk.

balwoges, Marg4000 and wylie like this.
  14. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I'd spend the $1,800 and remove it.

15. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

I’d remove it.
    Marg

16. bob shovel

What about the $3500 to replace walls?

17. Tonibell

There is a studio with asbestos roofing and one external wall, the old laundry (now kitchen) has asbestos internal wall and the bathroom walls are probably asbestos (have not checked this). All of this asbestos in in good shape and don't plan to touch it.

Agent thought the garage should just be demolished (it is DIY about 50 years ago) but some in the family think it adds value.

That would not be the intention - more to cover the places where it is cracked or broken. More an appearance thing - the very top of it would be visible where the rafters come through and also the front of the garage. But I take your point.

I think if I do this - then I'd take the garage down.

Definitely not worth spending that - the two options now seem to be to demolish the garage or attach some blue board myself. If the asbestos comes off then the job of putting up blueboard is harder because shapes etc would need to be cut so it is probably not worth keeping..

I'll have another look (maybe put up a couple of boards) and then decide.
    A single car garage would add value - but the asbestos could detract value.

Thanks for all the input.

18. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

Only if it's friable!
    Plus, given the age of the property, buyers should assume that there's asbestos. Plus they should do a B&P and if it's of concern, it will be mentioned.

19. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

"Agent thought the garage should just be demolished (it is DIY about 50 years ago) but some in the family think it adds value."

Having now renovated two parent's homes for sale, I would always believe the local agent rather than any emotionally attached relatives. Especially if they are elderly relatives who have no idea how 21st century homeowners tend to think.

I would demolish it completely.

bob shovel likes this.
  20. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Cladding over asbestos is a matter for council approval. Good luck