Btfinancegroup

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by Westnblue, 3rd Oct, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Westnblue

Westnblue Well-Known Member

Anyone use btfinancegroup?

Have an appointment with private banker next week. Wondering how much weight they have compared to retail lending & what they can do.

2. Shahin_Afarin

Shahin_Afarin Residential and Commercial Broker Business Member

BT is owned by the Westpac Group - so they have access to St George and Westpac products.

In theory they are more knowledgable than retail channels.

They can do some things that retail can't do but more interestingly things cannot do certain things that retail can do. So a simple example is that the self employed policy. At 80% LVR the retail channel only needs one years financials for servicing. In the private channel they require 2 years financials regardless of the LVR. An example of something that they can do that retail can't do is they can take income for entities with 2 or more non related directors where the income is retained within the company.

What is the reason you want to go through private bank? Are you a medico, solicitor or CEO?

3. Westnblue

Ceo. Sole director. Just find retail lending so slow. Want to get into multiple dwelling properties

4. Shahin_Afarin

Depends on your definition of fast - private bank isn't fast.

5. Westnblue

Will be able to do multiple deals at once and actually meet with credit face to face.

6. Shahin_Afarin

Doing multiple deals isn't difficult - its ensuring that the application is presented well and mitigants (if they exist) are covered off well.

Ability to know policy and know when to apply it.

Ability to fight credit if someone is having a bad day and has assessed the application poorly.

This is at an individual level rather than a channel level.

7. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

some retail is 24 hrs ..............

ta
    rolf

8. Westnblue

Took 2 weeks just to get appointment so private very slow. But after more flexibility

9. Westnblue

Just assumed retail lending wouldn't understand large multiple deals at once so never really tried.

These guys seem to welcome bigger & more complicated finance deals.

10. Rolf Latham

Flex as in beyond Apra APG 223 ?

recently had a WBC private client that had been provided things that retail wouldnt do - albeit at a higher rate

Took them to another lender, 30 % more borrowings and significantly lower rate..........

Unless one fits the " sophisticated" investor mold, and lending isnt regulated, id hazard a guess that "private" for many is more about being sold a badge of honour thing, rather than real advance - but thats just from my limited view.

ta
    rolf

11. Shahin_Afarin

Private welcomes higher loan amounts - they rarely welcome complicated deals.

Again ability comes down to the individual you are dealing with whether it be private or retail.

Don't assume the guys in private or their credit team have superior knowledge or flexibility.

Sackie, Brady and Terry_w like this.
  12. Westnblue

I've been there once and seems that way. Very personalized experience. They only deal with clients with $2.5mill+ net worth.

Should be interesting see what they offer

13. Westnblue

They said they can finance up to $150mill deals. Imagine putting that through retail broker

14. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Sounds like you have drunk the Kool aid.

tobe likes this.
  15. Rolf Latham

Yes

Private is a more costly channel usually to the lender .
    But as u say can offer flex with loans that are unsuitable otherwise under nccp.

Ta

Rolf

16. Brady

Brady Well-Known Member

Couldn't agree more with some of the info provided by @Rolf Latham & @Shahin_Afarin just because they're private not likely to be able to do lower rates. That's not my experience of what their service offering is. In some cases they might be able to do deals faster but again as Shahin mentioned it's likely only due to the individual.

My suggestion would be to have a chat with @Shahin_Afarin from what I read he does a decent amount of development personally. And seems pretty knowledgeable to me.

This below pretty much sums it up.

Terry_w likes this.
  17. Harry30

Harry30 Well-Known Member

I have used to use a ‘private banker’ with one of the big 4 banks. He would continually make the point to me that he was not paid on commission, as if that was a plus. It showed up in his approach. He did not seem to care whether a loan application got up or not. Zero persistence. Crappy rates. Waste of time. I guess it all depends on who you get.

18. Rolf Latham

Thats key across the entire world of advice :)

ta
    rolf

craigc, Brady, Harry30 and 1 other person like this.
  19. Harry30

Harry30 Well-Known Member

To a degree. I find with the independent brokers, only the very good survive, given the remuneration structure. Anyone who has been in that industry for a reasonable period is going to be fairly competent (as a general matter). For the private bankers in the big corporate structures, poor performance seems to get tolerated far more and for longer periods, and so the quality is far more hit and miss. My previous private banker was awful, and he had been in the job for about 15 years.

Last edited: 4th Oct, 2018

Price Accounting are a leading tax service for your property + tax issues. Contact Paul@PFI for property focussed tax services using our client portal access, digital signing and checklist based approach for best pricing. Free client pack included.