Bronwyn Bishop has resigned as Speaker

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Chilliblue, 2nd Aug, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
?

What should have Bronwyn Bishop done

1. Resigned as speaker

6 vote(s)
    15.8%
  2. Resigned as speaker and as a MP

2 vote(s)
    5.3%
  3. Resigned as speaker and as a MP and repaid monies

20 vote(s)
    52.6%
  4. Repaid monies

6 vote(s)
    15.8%
  5. Nothing

4 vote(s)
    10.5%
  1. Tillie

Tillie Well-Known Member

A good friend of mine is helicopter pilot and does charter flights and according to him the trip from Melbourne to Geelong with that type of helicopter should never, ever cost as much as $5k, even 50% of that is too much.

Something stinks here and badly and I do not say that Bromwyn has anything to do or even knew about overcharging... But her staff's connections should be investigated.

Esel likes this.
  2. ellejay

ellejay Well-Known Member

Don't suppose she'll suffer too much as a result, more's the pity.

3. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Make Goodes the new speaker!

4. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

And put Bronwyn into the number 37 guernsey for the Swannies.

She is a high flier.

Chilliblue likes this.
  5. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Let's not go there. I had a late supper lol.

6. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

You don't like the sound of Bronny the Swannie?

7. Chilliblue

Chilliblue Well-Known Member

Tillie she did sign off on the expense for payment

8. Tillie

Tillie Well-Known Member

Yes, indeed she did. But would you know the standard commecial rate of helicopter ride from Melbourme to Geelong? I would not without my friend. But her staff should have known or found out and obtain quotes from multiple places.

However Bronwyn made 3 mistakes. 1st. agreed to take helicopter ride at the first place. 2nd. claim the expense from tax payers money 3rd not even realised that she did anything wrong and fed not apologised

9. Foxy Moron

Foxy Moron Well-Known Member

10. Foxy Moron

Foxy Moron Well-Known Member

When I saw this photo of Bronny in todays Courier Mail I immediately thought of Madam Dubois from Madagascar 3.

Chilliblue likes this.
  11. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

Resign and repay the money.

Also; TA should launch a full inquiry and reform into all their rorts....the "travel junket" would be first item of business.

Complete transparency on expenses and donations for all Parties, and as would happen in the Private Sector; if found guilty they are sacked, and prosecuted for embezzlement.

There would be a lot of rats jumping ship, I'd wager.

I see Tony Burke has appeared on the radar today....interesting.

12. Bayview

But, it's part of the territory. This is how the media work, and in the case of the ABC; they have cast it all as a massive anti-TA slur. :rolleyes:

Happily, he doesn't respond to all that rubbish and ignores most of the noise.

FWIW; Tony Abbott - or any other PM - don't choose what the media want to focus on for the next few days or week. If anything; he has been conspicuous in his media absence over this issue, and rightly so.

In my opinion he should have put a call into BB the next day, advising her to resign. But TA is a nice man, and was trying to be loyal to his friend as long as possible; misguided, I know.

What I would like to see happen is TA - or any PM - get up at a media conference and simply say; "Look; don't waste my time and yours with rubbish questions about XYZ's or anyone elses' behaviour. I'm here to run the Country, so ask me questions about the economy and what we are doing to try and fix it, or the meeting is over."

13. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

Politics.

14. AndrewTDP

AndrewTDP Well-Known Member

So a full investigation should be held but the ABC shouldn't be allowed to report on it happening?

15. Bayview

As usual Andrew; a nice twist.

Show me where in any of my posts - either here or over at SS - I've ever said the ABC should not be allowed to report the news..

Just one example will be fine.

Apology accepted.

ABC are the kings of the universe at reporting all that is politics - but they report it with a Left-leaning biased at every turn, and are often extremely aggressive; bordering on rude in interviews towards Liberal reps.

Now; that is fine with me - but they have to declare their hand as being biased first.

But, they never do; they try to represent all news coverage as the wider community viewpoint - which it isn't.

And worse; they are paid by us; the Taxpayer - to the tune of $1b per year - to present news and current affairs in an unbiased and balanced way - it's in their Charter to do so.

16. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

You have seen this right Bayview?

Goose/gander?

All the criticism the govt is receiving atm re BB is entirely deserved. They're the ones who demanded a swift and stern approach to such matters when in opposition.

The ABC has nothing to do with it.

Attached Files:

VeronicaR likes this.
  17. AndrewTDP

You said it was a major issue, but that the ABC had turned it in to a TA slur campaign (how reporting him supporting a speaker who had made a series of highly irregular travel claims that were in no way supportable - you know, the facts - are bias I don't know).

Should the ABC only report positive news stories about TA? When he does something stupid should it just be ignored?

Their coverage of the NSW State Liberal Government is very fair and even. But that is because they don't continually do stupid, childish and idiotic things which get reported.

You are aware of course of the many, many, many reports commissioned by successive governments of bias in the ABC news coverage which found that there was no bias of any kind - in fact it was a slight bias towards to Liberal party if anything.

You are of course aware that a number if ABC journos have gone on to politics, in both the liberal and labor party?

Just because you disagree with something does not intrinsically make it biased.

18. AndrewTDP

The SMH is another hideously biased outlet.

How dare they cover something that actually happened. It should be brushed under the carpet and never spoken about. That's a real impartial news outlet.

19. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

Excuse me sir, tony Abbott had just been a nice guy here trying to stick up for his friend. If there's one thing he's known for its being a nice guy at all times.

20. Bayview

All newspapers are privately owned, and do what they like, and they are all biased.

The ABC aren't privately owned, but are biased, and when taken to task on it they go; "OH, no! Not us!"
    I agree with you Sanj, and if you reread my post you will see that I said TA should have told BB to fall on her sword the next day.

I don't know what I would do in that situation;
    1. be loyal to your friend as long as possible, or
    2. give them the fatherly advice and say resign.

Very hard decision, and technically she had done nothing wrong apparently. Morally; very wrong.

But, she was a fool; she arrogantly defied what was the right course of action which was to simply resign immediately, without having to put any of the Gubb reps under pressure. Selfish to the end.

Politically; TA as PM should have done option 2.

Last edited: 5th Aug, 2015