Broker's commission on home loans

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by alvaro86, 3rd Jan, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Weaver

Weaver Well-Known Member

so would 2 years be a 'safe' time to review loan set up (or plural) to minimise the instigation of clawback from broker (to bank) and hassle of re-claiming costs from client?

2. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

Yep 2 years is fine - only exception I can think of is Advantage which from memory is longer.

Weaver and Terry_w like this.
  3. Corey Batt

Corey Batt Well-Known Member

2 years is a good rule of thumb - when in doubt always speak with your broker.

Just like you wouldn't want your broker to muck you over for thousands, it's courtesy to make sure you don't do the same!

4. Redom

Redom Mortgage Broker Business Plus Member

I believe the average life of a loan nowadays has dropped to around 4-5 years - down from 6+ in the noughties. This naturally should increase the extent of clawbacks.

Some brokers input a charge back - not sure how successful they are in claiming this back.

Nonetheless, its rare that it occurs to straight refi's of customers - most of the time for people selling. Generally people don't like to refinance right away unless there's a specific need for it.

As a general rule, most investor broker clawbacks arise on same loans i.e. moving a loan previously written for a strategic reason. This arises for investors looking to grow and taking advantage of lender tools - e.g. higher desktop vals, equity release reasons, lender policy changes, taking advantage of 85% no LMI for bridging cases etc.

Eric Wu likes this.
  5. Gill Bates

Gill Bates Well-Known Member

.62% on a 300K loan

would be initial $1800 payment and trailer is a fractional percentage too
    So if trailer fee is (guess) 0.3% that is almost $1000 a year

These % fees would be in your loan docs

so for a 2 year loan, total renumeration to broker would be approaching $4000
    Are these figures in the ballpark ? anyone know?

6. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

trails would probably be 0.15% and with some lenders there is no trail in year 1.

7. Steven Ryan

Steven Ryan Well-Known Member

Upfronts generally about 0.6%
    Trails generally 0.15%

8. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

ex GST a 300k loan that runs 2 years returns approx 2700 ..........against a business cost of ?

In our case its near $ 1500......for other businesses where we have done the sanity figures its $ 2000. for a sole broker working from home obviously the cost is considerably less.

Fortunately a relationship managed loan portfolio has a life of 7 years or more, v the typical transactional life of approx 3 years

ta
    rolf

9. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

I have sold a property and checked with broker prior to see if clawback period had ended.It had just, but if it hadn't I would have paid him the clawback amount. I dont expect anyone to work for free

Jamie Moore, Jess Peletier and EN710 like this.
  10. Pamela Palmqvist

Pamela Palmqvist Active Member

I might start doing this too. I just had a client sell after 11 months after purchasing because he changed his mind. That is approx 50 hours worked for free :(

Ethan Timor likes this.
  11. euro73

euro73 Well-Known Member Business Member

The beautiful Hills District, Sydney Australia
    You should. Planners, accountants, lawyers etc- all charge fees. Even trades charge call out fees just to come and look at something... Brokers are well and truly underselling the work they do.

The problem is, most brokers are petrified of charging fees because clients can go to banks and get a basic sausage factory transactional type of service for free...and that works for 1,2,3 deals... as long as you dont mind being crossed, or have no ambition beyond what a bank can offer you before you hit a wall.

Then, when you do hit a wall, a skilled broker like me or some of the others here is asked to undo the mess, restructure the whole portfolio and get things moving again... but all of that work - and it is an extensive amount of work - is subject to clawback.

As brokers never really earn the money "clear" until 2 years after the loan settles, as we can be clawed back any time during that 2 years.

I think brokers charging for their time is something that deserves far more consideration.

Last edited: 14th Jan, 2017
    DaveM, albanga and Jamie Moore like this.
  12. Frank M

Frank M Well-Known Member

anyone know the clawback scheme on Suncorp bank, timeframe and % of clawback, cheers

13. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Depends on aggregator

Probably 100% during first 12 months and then sliding scale until 18 months and thereafter nil

14. Frank M

Thanks terry

15. Colin Rice

Colin Rice Mortgage Broker Business Member

Yep, mine increased as a couple of lenders changed policy from 3 on one title to 2 on 1 title for construction just after DA was approved.

One I salvaged as I sent it to RAMS and got a share of the UF comms and the other I lost out on and copped 2 x claw-backs totaling circa 7k, ouch!

Only positive from my side of the fence post APRA/ASIC is the loan book is more sticky due to val shortfalls and servicing issues. Been slow going ever since and looking for ways to diversify income until the Perth market picks up val wise, serviceability will still be an issue for many multi property holders though.

Time to come up with alternative strategies and already thought of some.

16. gerege

gerege Well-Known Member

So does that mean a broker only makes $1800 on a $300k loan?
    sounds very low to me
    can they do a 4-5 loans a week?
    (im not in this industry)

17. Peppas

Peppas Well-Known Member

Where are the claw back fees generally in the agreements? Been looking through some of mine and I can't seem to see anything of the like... Thanks

18. Frank M

Credit Proposal Disclosure Document usually i was told, by i cant find any of clawback statements in my one , though by memory i signed a seperate document stating a clawback fee would be applicable which i dont have a copy of

19. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

Pretty much

The norm is 0.65% of the loan amount upfront.

Then aggregators might take a percentage of that.

Then there's business overheads, etc.

If a client then closes down the loan within 24 months it ends up costing the broker a fair bit - not only in lost income but from money spent on getting the loan set up.

Cheers

Jamie

20. Corey Batt

Corey Batt Well-Known Member

Go tell the Royal Commission and various other BS reviews that.

Morgs, thydzik, Terry_w and 1 other person like this.