VIC Broadmeadows or Frankston?

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Ghoti, 16th Jul, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. melbournian

melbournian Well-Known Member

If you asked me broadmeadows and frankston, I would choose frankston at this point in time.

I studied in the peninsula school (which is in mt eliza in late 90s early 2000s) and I would go to frankston every weekend. My view is it was rough back then. You get gangs of skinheads walking around with their bulldogs. Fights were common around the bus stop outside the train station. Of course frankston south is better the price point is more expensive too. It's similar to heidleberg which is million+ and Heidelberg west 500k-700K+.. Frankston pros are it is close to the beach, lifestyle suburb and you get big blocks of land (which is good for redevs) Distance wise to CBD is still an issue I believe as that is where the majority of jobs exists. I went back maybe a few months ago to frankston to be honest, not much commercial development within the frankston township area. There was also a commercial building that was sold and did not settle and is on the mkt. But lifestyle suburb wise it tops broadmeadows for sure.

as it stands from KMs wise to CBD jacana and broadmeadows and meadows heights maybe the cheapest or cheapest place to buy within melbourne. Funny thing about crime rate maybe 10 years ago - crime rates are a big issue (which hindered the growth of suburb in Melbourne) but look now St albans stabbing in the mcdonalds etc or even reservoir (IGA burglary right in front of the police station) and St Albans was the top growth areas I believe in a quarter. And reservoir a place nearby the robbery sold 1.34 million.

I don't own in broadmeadows and there is a lot of housing commissions in broadmeadows and some are being torn down but it will take a while for a massive jump to occur. It's distance to the CBD are it's main points. It does need a few things to happen, infrastructure renewal, new highway of renewal of shopping mall, new demographics, new jobs. But I do see the prices rising as I monitor in the weekly results. there are prices sold for 500Kish which are prices not too long ago you could buy in reservoir etc.

Large housing commission affects the suburb no doubt - and That's why when there was news of 3000 housing commission being proposed to be built in logan I was surprised ppl thought it was a good thing. It would earmark that suburb as the housing commission suburb like broadmeadows etc was in the past. As it normally should be either be spread out and not necessarily concentrated in one area (as it will only bring the median price to a standstill).

Last edited: 13th Dec, 2016
    Barny likes this.
  2. Natedog

Natedog Well-Known Member

In regards to Frankston/Frankston South I reckon it would have been perfect timing to get in around May 2015....things were just starting to move... its easy in hindsight!

SOULFLY3 likes this.
  3. fantail

fantail Well-Known Member

I just finished scanning a property newsletter from one of the major R.E. franchises - Broadmeadows not mentioned, but Jacana was - Median Price (house) $389,500 price growth past 12 months 4.45%, price growth last quarter 5.6%. Interpret that how you will but looks like Jacana prices are strengthening, ditto Frankston North - median price (house) $313k , 12 month growth 1.4%, last quarter 5.02%.
    Some of the other suburbs shown in this newsletter have previouisly been discussed in the "where to buy? thread, so think I'll start a new thread and post there.

4. illmakeyourgrannyflat

illmakeyourgrannyflat Member

Not saying that Melbourne is identical to Sydney areas like Redfern, Summer Hill, Surry Hills which are all within 10km to the city is a housing commission area and property prices still have increased despite that fact. So Agree with with everyone in that housing commission areas don't really matter if it's close to the city, shops and potential for development in the future.

Property Investors! Ready to Pay Less Tax? Estimate how much Property Depreciation you can claim on your Investment Property. Washington Brown's calculator is the first calculator to draw on real properties to determine an accurate estimate.