Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community

Broadband

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by geoffw, 10th Jul, 2015.

1. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

For some years, I've been struggling with ADSL 1- at home. I've been told a number of times by my provider, Optus, that ADSL2+ is just not available.

I just found out yersterday that other providers do provide ADSL2+. Thank you Optus! I have suffered for a long time!

Now that Dodo are advertising through Google ads on the forum, I would like to know if anybody has experience.

I signed up yesterday but I have a cooling off period.

I didn't check out first- ProductReview give a whole heap of scathing reviews. The only providers who rate well charge twice as much, which isn't a problem- but even those have a whole heap of bad reviews too, just not a big a percentage.

Possibly the arrival of Netflix and others have led to a degradation overall.

Any opinions please?

2. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

I've been with Internode for about 18 years - although their customer support waiting periods have become bad since the iiNet takeover, they still provide a great network.

I've not noticed any significant network congestion recently since they brought on new capacity after the Netflix launch.

I've never heard good things about Dodo ... I would personally only ever recommend Internode or iiNet, but I also know plenty of people who use TPG and are quite happy.

3. Pistonbroke

Pistonbroke Well-Known Member

Check out which providers can grant your wish by looking on whirlpool.net.au

It may be a distance from the exchange issue or maybe they just don't like you?

Scott No Mates likes this.
  4. geoffw

It must be that they don't like me, because the exchange is the same distance away for both providers.

They have agreed to let me do a month by month access so that I don't have to commit for two years. At least they've said that, but haven't confirmed in writing.

5. Fargo

Fargo Well-Known Member

I have only heard bad things about Dodo too by those who (try to) use it, and that it is very slow.

6. Simon Hampel

LOL @ all the Dodo adverts that now appear for me on this page :D

7. geoffw

Biting the had that feeds you?

8. Simon Hampel

More just a comment on the efficiency of Google's targeted advertising!

9. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

Can't say much about dodo but stay away from spintel! I used them before going to grapevine/transact. Terrible experience.

10. Emoi

Emoi Well-Known Member

The best thing that ever happened to me was losing my copper/adsl connection when I went OS with no ports available at the exchange on return.
    I was forced to use Telstra cable or go mobile.
    While I despise Telstra and was annoyed at the start due to extra cost, the speed is wonderful.
    I see 2mb/sec download speeds regularly and I could never go back to the old setup.

I pay $69/mth for 200gb before it is slowed
    That used to be a 50gb plan but over the years they increased the GB for the same cost.

11. AndrewTDP

AndrewTDP Urban Planning Consultant Business Member

Internode for me. Not quite as good post iinet takeover but customer service is still the best around imo.