QLD Brisbane - Woolloongabba VS Lutwyche for Appartments

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by PoshVilla, 11th Jun, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
?

Which should we choose?

1. Woolloongabba

7 vote(s)
    46.7%
  2. Lutwyche

8 vote(s)
    53.3%
  1. Sarah T

Sarah T Member

Also if the place you have has cheap enough rent, lots of asylum seekers are in woolongabba area as it's close to caseworkers. Easy to tell as they have ssrs payments. Some of the best tenants I've ever seen. Will rent houses and units. More have come from manus island last month so it's still a popular area

2. Whitecat

Whitecat Well-Known Member

Trains are key to investment in bne if the place isn't walking distance to the cbd

Last edited: 6th Oct, 2016
    BB5 likes this.
  3. Sarah T

Sarah T Member

I disagree with trains being the investment to Brisbane. Buses are cheaper and generally good routes to the city. Esp where there are dedicated busways. Took me a while to think like a local in this one.

MikeyBallarat and Blueskies like this.
  4. BB5

BB5 Well-Known Member

Buses take longer and not as reliable time wise in my opinion also can get stuck in traffic.

Train service is fantastic on the Northside around where I live. Bus terminal a bit of a pain because can get stuck in traffic/lights when not in the busway parts on Lutwyche road.

Whitecat likes this.
  5. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

Disagree a bit here
    'go outwards or subdivide '..yeah...on potentially less.desirable land...Long term, the value of the location will outpace the value of the land component growth. Examples worldwide, as they say..location, location, location. Long term, it's the main thing that delivers.

6. BB5

BB5 Well-Known Member

Looks like the first part of the Albion village is nearly getting completed talking of locations with potential.

7. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

The supply of units is potentially infinite, there is no limit other than council height restrictions. The supply of blocks of land inside 10km from the CBD is not.

Bran and vbplease like this.
  8. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Agree. Why buy at Caboolture when there's plenty of perfectly good land closer in? Location is key.
    But I guess I was more thinking about Sydney where it's so hard for most to buy close in atm at a half decent price.

9. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

Sydney too expensive? No worries...come to sunny Brisbane :) we are a friendly lot over here...all welcome...just need to buy bne property first :)

Whitecat likes this.
  10. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

I would move up in a heartbeat except I bought the amazing Sydney home... which I plan to never sell as the original family owned it for 80 odd years.... and it's too good as a rental....

11. ycdfdyan

ycdfdyan Well-Known Member

My suggestion is to buy a house with land somewhere further out. If you prefer the inner city apartment lifestyle, just rent out the house and rent an inner city apartment for yourselves to live in.

12. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

PoshVilla, what did you end up getting? How are you going?

13. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

How do you mean buses are cheaper? To buy or to use? Using the Go card, the zones are the same.
    It's good if you live near a main road, plenty of places still with not many options for train or bus.

14. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Depends on the area.

We live equidistant to a train station and to a major bus exchange connected to the city by direct busway.

Train to city - 40 minutes.
    Bus to city. - under 15 minutes.

And outside of peak hours there are many more buses than trains (and that was before the present debacle.....). Not sure of peak hour services as we rarely travel then.

We never catch the train.....
    Marg

MikeyBallarat likes this.
  15. Whitecat

Whitecat Well-Known Member

Which suburb is that?

16. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Southside.

Garden City bus station vs, Beenleigh railway line.
    Marg

17. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

I can drive from Garden City to the big city in fifteen minutes outside of peak too.

My experience with buses up north here is that they can get from the city to Chermside in 20 minutes, then take another twenty minutes to go one or two klms along Gympie Rd, make the right hand turn into Hamilton Rd and get to the bus stop in Westfield. This is in the middle of the day, not peak.

O hang on, "Come live in Brisbane, it is totally awesome".

18. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

I got from Chapel Hill to the City in about 20mins on the bus in the morning (via the tunnel and busways). Standing room only of course (fun around corners). In the afternoon was closer to double that, along Milton Rd and/or Coro Drv. Carpark.

19. MikeyBallarat

MikeyBallarat Well-Known Member

Not to mention buses up in Brissy run at similar times to trains. Many buses run until 12am every day, and all night Friday and Saturday. Down in Melbourne, buses usually finish at about 8-9pm.

In Melbourne, if you're not near a train station, you gotta have a car. It isn't like that in Brisneyland, particularly the southside.

20. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Woaahhh........run a mile...for $474k you can buy a house in a decent area...ok maybe not with 5-6 klms of the city.

If you do want an apartment as a first step go for the older walk-ups which I tired.

I bought one last year for 289k in Annerley and did a reno for 12k (new kitchen, floor, paint, curtains etc. ) ...now rented for $335pw.

Stata is only 350pq and rates are about $1200 and water is about $850.

Much better option...