QLD Brisbane very dry this summer - how's your IP's grass?

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by jprops, 2nd May, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. jprops

jprops Well-Known Member

I was just going through the recent routine property inspection and the grass front and back is almost turned to dirt. This time last year the grass was a lush green.

I've asked the property manager what they think about this as the report just said "neat and tidy".

Has anyone else notice their properties grass looking worn?

I googled to see what the rainfall this year looked like and found this :Brisbane in Summer 2019

So that could be why. I'd expect in warm dry weather you'd have to water regularly to keep your grass healthy, but can this be something enforced on the tenant?

2. marmot

marmot Well-Known Member

Maybe sink a bore for them or pay for the water usage and they maintain a nice green lawn.
    Using bucketloads of scheme water during periods of really low rainfall doesn't really make any sense.

3. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

When was your last inspection? Our IP near the coast was inspected two weeks ago and its grass is quite green but has a couple of bare patches, otherwise it is much better than it was last year and earlier this year. Our tenants look after the property amazingly, though.

Where I live we are pretty house-proud. We have lush grass now due to continuous rainfall for about six weeks. I forked all my dirt at the start of the year, and weeded/fertilised twice, which tenants wont do.

TBH, I didn't think this season was anywhere near as bad as the big drought that lasted about ten years prior to 2010 and we were on severe water restrictions. All the grass turned brown this summer for sure, but then it has rained again every day since the middle of March.

4. gman65

gman65 Well-Known Member

Mine is green, but also paid for by my water charges which are up 30% or so.

Thankfully we have has some rain the last month to avoid everything dying.

But more than likely, if we don't get *significant* rain (not just showers) we will be under water restrictions at some point next summer. Dam levels | Seqwater -> click "view all" on the chart to get some context

VIC is even worse...

But of course, climate change is a myth

Last edited: 2nd May, 2019
  5. jprops

jprops Well-Known Member

Funny, it was 8th of March ( I know late reaction huh? We just had twins in January so I have an excuse).

6. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Our son's wedding was 16th March and the heavens opened three days prior. I spent about 5 weekends beforehand aerating the front "lawn" and watering like crazy beforehand. The wedding ended up being inside the house that day.

So yes, your IP grass would have been crackle underfoot brown on the 8th.

jprops likes this.
  7. Gestalt

Gestalt Well-Known Member

We've had the wettest March and April in Brisbane that I can ever remember. Annoying, normally this is the best time of year but we've had more grey than blue skies.

If you haven't seen the property since March 6, I suggest another look!

jprops likes this.
  8. jprops

jprops Well-Known Member

Yep, thanks for everyone's responses. Next inspection won't be until September, maybe I'll ask the agent if there's any large garden trimming needed doing ;)