Brisbane Tree Trim

Discussion in 'Landscaping' started by standtall, 3rd Dec, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. standtall

standtall Well-Known Member

My Camp Hill IP has a large leopard tree in the backyard and a neighbour on the backside of the house has requested removal of some branches at their expense to stop leaves from falling into their pool.

I have no issues with the request because it will also mean less leaves landing in my gutters.

I am not aware of tree laws with BCC. They mentioned they will be using arborist but I don't want to get a fine from the council.

Any tips from the locals? @boganfromlogan @wylie

2. boganfromlogan

boganfromlogan Well-Known Member

I would build in the garage.

Seriously, though. I got arborist who refused to cut down tree without council say so. But the wind blew it down years later.

You should be fine, trimming isn't removal, and there are only a few leopards left in Brissy, so they won't miss the limbs.

Arborist should inform neighbours ( and you ) if there are any restrictions.

But you know my advice is totally unreliable, maybe there are lots of leopards, and I don't know about them. @wylie will know for sure!!

standtall likes this.
  3. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Sackie and standtall like this.
  4. standtall

Thanks @wylie @boganfromlogan

I will ask them to share a copy of arborist report to ensure trimming is okay.

From what I have gathered on BCC website is that it’s okay to prune the tree as long as it’s not a significant tree which are listed property wise on BCC website and my IP address isn’t there.

boganfromlogan likes this.
  5. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

There are species that are also protected. Arborists will know whats what and how limited pruning can be compliant. Be aware some neighbours may want to excessively prune (or even de-limb) a healthy tree and you are liable. The leaves in the pool complaint is a warning sign of that. Leaves will always fall from a healthy tree and that tough luck and I would be cautious about their proposal esp if they use a rogue lopper who isnt a reg arborist. You cant put limbs back on a tree and council would hold the landowner liable. Best to understand the scope of the works and give consent before the saws come out.

6. standtall

Valid points. I have requested that their arborist email me directly his assessment along with confirmation that any works will be council compliant. From general research on internet, a leopard tree doesn’t seem to be protected.

I wouldn’t mind if whole tree can be removed (I may have to apply for a permit) because this tree fills up my gutters and channel drains which makes it very hard for tenants to maintain the property. Neighbours would love to see it go as well because of pool issues and it significant part of their city views.