Brisbane to outshine Sydney and Melbourne dwelling prices in 2020: Westpac

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by Sackie, 31st Dec, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Brisbane dwelling prices will outperform those in Sydney and Melbourne in 2020, according to Westpac.

They believe the Queensland capital will see eight per cent increases next year, above the six forecasted for the two major capital city markets.

Full article:
    Brisbane to outshine Sydney and Melbourne dwelling prices in 2020: Westpac

Personally I have no idea but it's always great to see media sentiment positive where you want it to be. Media sentiment is very powerful, most of the herd ( which is most buying folks) pay attention to what all the media says and are influenced by it.

2. Andrewjh

Andrewjh Well-Known Member

It's all done by a javascript file.

"every 3 days, new headline: [RANDOM AUS CITY] to [OUT/UNDER] perform [RANDOM OTHER CITY] and [CITY 3] by [INTEGER BETWEEN 1-15]% by [RANDOM YEAR]"

Gets the clicks.

standtall, Lacrim, Kriv and 7 others like this.
  3. albanga

albanga Well-Known Member

My simple response to this.....
    No Chance it will beat Melbourne

This coming from the bloke who’s prediction strike rate is on par with don bradmans batting so take note ;)

luckyone likes this.
  4. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

I agree it's very much unlikely too. But at the same time I'm also pretty sure some subrubs in Brissy will do better than others in Melb. Regardless, it's all about media sentiment. The more positive the better. :p

5. Codie

Codie Well-Known Member

I’m just starting research to purchase in Melbourne in the next 2-3 months so both performing well would suit!

6. Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman Well-Known Member

Yeah because a major bank is all about issuing research reports for the ‘clicks’

Kevvy7 likes this.
  7. Patrick Bateman

I’ll take Dave Warner’s strike rate over bradmans thanks . No chance Melbourne will outperform Brisbane over the next 3-5 years

8. Bunbury

Bunbury Well-Known Member

Do you realise that in 5 years Melbourne will most likely be the largest city in Australia?

9. Patrick Bateman

Melbourne has already had a lot of growth in this cycle that Brisbane has not had . Brisbane’s population is also growing strongly . Brisbane is much more affordable when you compare income to property values whereas is Melbournes growth in the near term will be inhibited by affordability .

Pumpkin and Brickbybrick like this.
  10. albanga

albanga Well-Known Member

I’ll happily take that wager.
    Melbourne is set to become Australia’s largest city and has some huge infrastructure projects underway which will only strengthen that position.

Marg4000 likes this.
  11. Patrick Bateman

Did you even read the article ?

12. standtall

standtall Well-Known Member

Translation: We are over-leveraged in Logan and hope it picks up.

13. Patrick Bateman

Yeah I heard the article was written at the faked moon landing sound stage

14. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Or ...oh ****...........I have a development going in inner Brissie...I mis-calculated...and it looks like after GST...tax I am **** out of luck! I keep talkign it up in the hope it will go up. :p:D

100% agree with Logan...it will be the last place along with Ipswich which will take off. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator: 11th Jan, 2020
    Pumpkin likes this.
  15. John_BridgeToBricks

John_BridgeToBricks Buyer's Agent Business Member

Why do you say that? I am not personally involved in the Logan market so I have no dog in this fight, but I have heard people talk about Logan for years. Why is Logan not going to perform in your opinion?

16. sash

sash Well-Known Member

OK lets go there...a few BAs (some on this site) put a lot of people into **** properties in lower socio Logan. This was supported by some dodgy brokers and voila. Even though the Brissie market has tightened in terms of rentals...lower socio Logan has not.

What you have a certain group of people following these pied pipers...they are now stuck. If there is CG...there will very little compared to other parts. I know people who have held places in lower socio Logan...and would be lucky to cover their buy in costs..mostly likely they will be negative. I hate to say this...but if they would have bought in Brisbane Council, Moreton Bay, Gold Coast they would have done better.

Last edited by a moderator: 11th Jan, 2020
  17. sash

sash Well-Known Member

18. Patrick Bateman

If you are taking realestate.com.au articles seriously that would be a worry, extremely amateurish ‘journalists’ and never have any insightful information .

Rich2011 and Skinman like this.
  19. Skinman

Skinman Well-Known Member

But what do you think will hold will hold Logan and Ipswich back?

20. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Look Lower Socio Logan and Ipswich will grow in line with the Greater Brissie market...but the returns will not match areas like BCC ..Southern Moreton Bay...GC or Sunshine Coast areas.

There are a group of people who have vested interest in talking up these areas. But the fact of the matter is demand has to come from FHB...OO ..for markets to grow significantly.

Southern investors are disportionately in Logan lower socio. There is no great demand from locals for that product.

Lots of people wrote ad-nauseam about their portfolios in Logan...but is is only a house of cards. I already have 7 in Brissie but none in Logan....maybe one day but not yet....

sumterrence likes this.