Brisbane suburbs: Aspley vs Zillmere

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by MsSassy27, 26th Oct, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
?

Which is the best Brisbane suburb to invest in?

Poll closed 26th Apr, 2017.
  1. Aspley

22.7%
  2. Zillmere

72.7%
  3. Carseldine

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Fitzgibbon

4.5%
  1. MsSassy27

MsSassy27 Active Member

Hello all, I got an opportunity to place an offer on a poor condition weatherboard house in Aspley (4, 1, 2) on land size: 546m2 with the selling asking price: $440,000+. It is near Aspley East State School, local shops and the Gympie Road.

I also got an opportunity to place an offer on a good condition weatherboard house in Zillmere (2, 1, 2) on land size: 607m2 with the selling asking price: $429,000+. This house is on the Zillmere side of the rail tracks, close to the Zillmere Road shops and the train station.

I was wondering which of these two Brisbane suburbs are better to invest in? Many thanks in advance for your time.

2. WallyB66

WallyB66 Well-Known Member

Hi- I don't follow these areas closely however I know Zillmere did have a lot of housing commission stock - unsure if that's still the case or where that stock is in relation to the house. My gut feel is the Aspley house would be a better bet ie more bedrooms depending on your stomach for fixer-uppers :(. Good luck

MsSassy27 likes this.
  3. BB5

BB5 Well-Known Member

Zillmere as it's closest with a train station?

Whitecat and MsSassy27 like this.
  4. ndpjai

ndpjai Well-Known Member

Aspley house in good location but not many photos
    Zillmere location not there if it's close to station and Aspley side good. Photos are good but looks like backyard is limited due to more frontage (cannot comment from photos)

If you are not interested in extending the Zillmere by adding rooms etc. Go for Aspley otherwise zillmere has got more land. Good luck.

MsSassy27 and Perthguy like this.
  5. MsSassy27

MsSassy27 Active Member

Thanks to all who replied!
    WallyB66 Indeed, Aspley is a good suburb but I don't think the house floorplan (even with renovations) will attract tenants so I might have to stay away from that property. Even if it is a good way to enter the Aspley market because it's in a poor condition.
    BB5 Thanks for your opinion. I valued having access to the public transport a lot too.
    ndpjai Thanks for your post. I take it you looked the properties up? There are now 4 different Zillmere properties I am interested in! They are all on the eastern side of Zillmere. Oh dear.

Clewitt Street, Zillmere
    Halcomb Street, Zillmere
    Kakadu Circuit, Zillmere
    Rodway Street, Zillmere

6. C-mac

C-mac Well-Known Member

Of these two options I'd definitely favor Zillmere. Though there has been lots of 3-floor-walk-up blocks built in Zillmere, the suburb has laregly in-filled. This means that for those who own houses there, they are more likely to do well since there isnt much vacant land left, nor many left worth bulldozing and building units on.

This means that latent demand for houses will remain strong as it IS a young families area. one would assume value and rental growth would follow, in this circumstance.

Good luck!

7. nth brisbanite

nth brisbanite Well-Known Member

I know the area fairly well and would much prefer Aspley even if the house is a little run down. At 440K+ you are paying just for the land value so anything extra is a bonus. Aspley East Primary has got a very good reputation and you are walking distance to Zillmere station. Any houses on the east part of Zillmere are mostly housing commission or surrounded by units or flats.

MsSassy27 likes this.
  8. LifesGood

LifesGood Well-Known Member

A real estate agent in the area told me his pick would definitely be Geebung. I personally don't know the areas well.

9. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

I would be looking at how each of the areas have performed recently. How far have they moved since the previous peak? I would also be going for something with a good land content.