Brisbane subdivision - Low Density Residential

Discussion in 'Development' started by AsburyJuke, 30th Mar, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. AsburyJuke

AsburyJuke Well-Known Member

In your experience, is this block likely to be subdividable?

- 809m2 block
    - Brisbane middle-ring suburb
    - Zoned Low Density Residential
    - 20.5m road frontage, on a sub-arterial road
    - Neighbouring blocks are also 800m2, although some about 100m down the road have been split into 400m2
    - Flood free
    - No overland flows
    - Generally slopes downhill from the road, but not steep
    - No sewer/stormwater to impede construction
    - 400m from local shops

My understanding is that the minimum lot size in Low Density Res is 450m2, but this can be reduced to 400m2 if it meets the criteria for a "small lot" development.

I know I won't get a definitive answer (especially from PC!) before submitting an application to subdivide... but I'd like to get a "quick and dirty" opinion from some of the old-hands on here.

Many thanks in advance.

2. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

No matter what anyone says here, you're best to engage a town planner for specific, expert feedback unique to your block.

You don't need to submit a subdivision plan to find out, a good town planner can tell you 98% of the time. They are also aware of some obscure rules which may be in your favour. I've been able to subdivide based on exceptions . Also was able extend DA based on new legislation . A top gun town planner is worth their weight in gold.

3. Gen-Y

Gen-Y Well-Known Member

Without knowing the full details.
    Generally a Perch 32 (810m2) can be split into Perch 16 (405m2)
    20m frontage is a must in my opinion.

A quick phone call to a local town planner will sort you out.
    Good luck as these type of blocks are sort after by flipper and small builder.

4. LJW

LJW Well-Known Member

Yes potentially. There's no issues with the lot size/frontage width as the minimum lot size is 400sqm and the minimum width is 10m in the low density residential zone in Brisbane. Without looking into this any further, your biggest issues will be stormwater (being able to provide a lawful point of discharge) and access (as the site is on a sub-arterial road).

Assuming there is no stormwater infrastructure at the rear of the site (which there usually isn't), you are going to have to fill the site (or part of the site) in order to get stormwater from the lots (or most of the lots) to the kerb of the street (or get consent from the downstream property owner to discharge stormwater through their site). Depending on the slope of the site, this may not be feasible. A sub-arterial road is a fairly high order road so Council may not let you have an additional access point to this land. You will most likely have to have a single shared driveway. You may also have to esbalish a shared easement over the front of the site and demonstrate that vehicles can manouvre drive in and out in a forward gear.

There are lots of other things to consider, but they will be your main two i'd say.

5. craigc

craigc Well-Known Member

6. RPI

RPI SDA Provider, Town Planner, Former Property Lawyer

If you give Brett a call from my town planning firm PRO Town Planners, he'll let you know what he thinks free of charge on the phone or do a formal look and report for not much.