Brisbane Storm

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by hash_investor, 29th Mar, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

How's this legend in Gladstone (they had bad weather to, although no cyclone and it's not Brisbane so probably won't make the fake news) FB_IMG_1490879932707.jpg FB_IMG_1490879966000.jpg

Corkey, sharon and ellejay like this.
  2. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Just a wee bit flooded...

3. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

I've had a great night's sleep, no dog fretting from thunder and lightning the previous night.

I think I realise why the Premier told everyone to stay home from work: We don't need our Emergency Services personnel having to deal with death and trauma on the roads when there are other things happening. I call it risk mitigation.

I had enough drama yesterday having to avoid speeding idiots in tradie utes on the main road just travelling the three kms to and from my local workplace. This was before 8:30 am when all the lanes on the bridge were still open. It wasn't flooded from the river rising but from all the water flowing down the embankment and the four lanes of bitumen and pooling at the bottom of the gully.

4. Phase2

Phase2 Well-Known Member

Wow. I haven't seen flooding like that in Gladstone for about 30 years! I heard that they'd have about 400mm of rain in March prior to that system coming through, and the flooding coincided with a 4m high tide..

5. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

I would estimate very roughly that flood prone property is about 1/3 of all bcc stock.
    Seems the flood prone property is still selling well...else the non flood prone property in Brisbane would be extremely expensive (and it's not).

6. Kangabanga

Kangabanga Well-Known Member

I would think flood prone property would not affect non flood prone stock much. Investors who are afraid of floods would likely just avoid flood prone suburbs altogether.

Reckon flood prone property is gonna start taking a hit now. Any investor from Sydney/Melb would be thinking twice about buying in flooded areas like Logan/Beenleigh and maybe even some gold coast suburbs if they get flooded out later today. Poor Yatala pie shop....

But then again people/investors have short memories, Brisbane got lucky this time and wont be flooded much. Its only been 6 years though since 2011 and with global warming getting worse, we will be getting even more volatile weather conditions in the future. Brisbane might not be so lucky when another cyclone hits us in the next 5-10years.

Damn clouds have come back again in my area, looks like more rain tonight!

samiam and gman65 like this.
  7. gman65

gman65 Well-Known Member

Yep, these are no longer 1 in 100 year events. The 'new normal' may means these are close to 1 in 5 year events in many areas. Buying near a river or creek, forget it! You really need to know the area very well if you are buying in a flat or gully within cooee of a creek, river, or storm overflow.

Gold Coast is really a ticking time bomb. Council refuses to even acknowledge it.. but one year all those canals will connect together and 50sqkm of prime real estate will go under...

Last edited: 31st Mar, 2017
    samiam likes this.
  8. Eugene82

Eugene82 Well-Known Member

... am I the only dirty mind to get your reference?

9. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

What the...
    Since when is 1/3 of all BCC stock flood prone?

Last edited: 1st Apr, 2017
    HUGH72 and Ed Barton like this.
  10. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

No, but the rest of us didn't need to comment ;)

Eugene82 likes this.
  11. samiam

samiam Well-Known Member

Ya. This flood have scared off my southern friends - they were looking at GC & Logan areas, now they say they will stick to Sydney :(

12. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

1 in 100 year flood category does NOT mean that there will only be one flood in 100 years.

It means that there is 1 chance in 100 that an area will flood, in ANY year, based on calculations of risk factors.

So you could get a flood 5 years in a row, or none for 400 years, both within the 1 in 100 year category.

And there are always exceptions. Who could have predicted that a Cyclone crossing the coast at Proserpine would result in catastrophic flooding in Lismore?
    Marg

Joynz, samiam, Player and 3 others like this.
  13. Kangabanga

There ya go, investors shunning GC and Logan altogether whether or not its flood prone property or "flood safe".

Insurance premiums gonna hit the roof in SEQ pretty soon so might be a deterrent for investors too.

@Marg : we can blame it all on global warming. I have a 76 yo neighbour whose been in Brisbane since he was 12 y/o, he told me thirty years ago, it was normal for us to have afternoon showers few times a week. But now its just dry everyday until it storms.

samiam likes this.
  14. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

Is this realistically going to be a deterrent to interstate investors in Brisbane? Brisbane was barely affected?

wylie and Ed Barton like this.
  15. Kangabanga

I wouldn't say barely, quite a few streets in quite a few suburbs were flooded. There were also some swift water rescues done.

For investors from interstate or overseas, headlines saying south east queensland floods could bring back fears or memories of the 2011 floods.

Besides there are pictures of flooding of cars and properties in inner city suburbs like Paddington/Wollongabba/East brisbane recently published on news websites, which are in Brisbane. and though most of Brisbane is ok, people will tend to lump things together and think otherwise.

check out this coverage of flooded Brisbane suburbs, just an example of many.
    http://www.couriermail.com.au/techn...e/news-story/6eefdfdb4de9cbd750be633459e42635

If i was a Sydney investor, i'd probably just stay away for a year or so just in case another cyclone hits.

[​IMG]

#FloodedForgetIt

Last edited: 2nd Apr, 2017
    WattleIdo and Luke T like this.
  16. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Thanks Courier Mail for wrecking the Brisbane/SEQ economy yet again.

Kieran, can you write something to point out that the vast majority of people's houses are fine and those pictures were of low-lying parks and carparks, not homes. Talk up the real estate, PLEASE

I can go through the wording of the article and highlight all the emotive language designed to put fear into the minds of readers. Last bloody thing we need as a community.

17. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

A few streets in a few suburbs. Fewer than 500 houses flooded out of an area of around a million people. In no way am I trivialising the issue for those affected, my in-laws in Chelmer were flooded in 1974 and I know the devastation caused to them.

But to extend that to a whole city is a bit far fetched. As said, most photos are of low-lying, uninhabited areas.

Apart from a few surprises along the Logan River, most of the problems were in well known trouble spots.

How many serious investors would base their research on sensationalised newspaper headlines?
    Marg

kierank, HUGH72 and Mel_C like this.
  18. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

Who? Me??

19. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

If I listened to all the negative crap in the press, I would have probably said good-bye to this cruel world some 40 to 50 years ago.

Headlines like:
    1. Houses are unaffordable.
    2. Property is going to crash.
    3. Stock market is going to crash.
    4. Bird flu is going to wipe out the world.
    5. ...

From memory, I have survived at least four 'end of world' predictions :) :).

I ignore negative crap as it leads to negative thoughts and actions.

Focus on the positives as they lead to positive thoughts and actions.

Life is not always a bed on roses and, from time to time, we will encounter a few speed bumps.

For those with negative thoughts, these speed bumps will stop them in their tracks or worse, completely toss them in the ditch.

For those with positive thoughts, these speed bumps might slow them down but they will have enough momentum in life to make their way over them.

Once they have achieved this, they will have even more life momentum ready to handle the next speed bump that might come their way.

I know which road in life I would rather travel.

20. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

Sensationalism at it's worst. A few low lying streets, a couple of ovals, creeks, gullies and a few houses at the bottom of them.
    If I see another picture of Toombul shopping centre car park....:rolleyes:

kierank likes this.