Brisbane Storm

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by hash_investor, 29th Mar, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Phone charging.
    Another 48 ml in the gauge (nicked out when rain eased off).
    128ml (5 inches) since last night, just steady rain, heavy at times but no wind.
    BOM doing a great job.
    Marg

Anne11 and kierank like this.
  2. Blueskies

Blueskies Well-Known Member

My workplace has shut down, sent everyone home (decision not taken lightly, several hundred employees)

Crazy flash flooding on multiple roads on the way home, had to backtrack multiple times due to get through (@kierank - you would be familiar with Formosa, Grassdale and London road - all impassable in multiple spots)

If it builds into afternoon and evening there will be some widespread flash flooding for sure, lets just hope Wivenhoe dam holds up...

WattleIdo, kierank and Marg4000 like this.
  3. Marg4000

Wivenhoe at 67% with flood storage available on top of that. Somerset on around 74% so both should be ok. North Pine on 51%.
    Marg

Anne11 likes this.
  4. sharon

sharon Well-Known Member

Our work closed for the day, school closed, childcare closed.
    I have been cooking (chicken, eggs, brownies) and put fresh batteries in the torches, located the candles and matches - just in case.

Yard is already ankle deep in water. Can't wait for this afternoon - not!! :)

5. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

On Saturday I had a SES crew from Broken Hill (all volunteers) on my roof in Sydney. They learned they werent going home Monday - They were going to QLD as they are also water rescue trained. Looks like they will be busy.

I heard the panel of experts in Brisbane at 10am today discuss a policy of limited release IF Wivenhoe gets to 80%. (Was 90% in 2011 and they waited until it passed and then had to open it up. ) They dont want capacity to overfill and need to be dumped aggressively later. They said all media will be informed prior to it occurring so downstream properties can relocate livestock etc to higher ground. Dep Premier made a good comment - Ignore facebook posts about the dams unless they are from reputable sources !! Says many people are misinformed are start stories that lack facts....Faceboook ?? No.

Marg4000 likes this.
  6. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

Know them well. It is not the first time they have gone under water and unfortunately, it won't be the last.

7. Marg4000

Most of the usual flash flood spots are affected.

Surely no one can be surprised.
    Marg

8. hash_investor

hash_investor Well-Known Member

Morton Bay Region seems to be going ok and only one road closure in Kallangur so far

9. Kangabanga

Kangabanga Well-Known Member

10. gman65

gman65 Well-Known Member

Everybody had left my work by 11am.. drive home was a bit slow, but could have been worse. Passed a Dominos car that had crashed into a tradie Ute. Poor bloke was crying at the side of the road..

Had to quickly dig out a trench out the side of my new place, as was a bit of a river. Think it's ok now if it keeps coming down.

I think in 24hrs it should clear, so don't think it will be as bad as 2011. Usual areas will probably flood though.

I've stocked up on beer, and have at least 2days of alcohol supplies, so I'm ok :cool:

Marg4000 likes this.
  11. Player

Player Well-Known Member

Fortitude Valley is a ghost town. I'm locked away in my hotel room. I am in Brisbane for the Myriad startup festival. Itwas based at the Power Station in New Farm. The rest of today was called off at 12 noon. Eerily calm here now before the worst of the rain comes later this afternoon. Stay safe and dry everyone. Heed the warnings. Thoughts still with those up north who copped the brunt of Debbie.

Marg4000 likes this.
  12. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

Things have slowed down. Emptied the guage at 3:30pm to find another 50mm or 160mm so far.

Wind is picking up though.

Marg4000 likes this.
  13. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

14. Richard Taylor

Richard Taylor Well-Known Member

Down in Brisbane first up this morning to check the office and certainly some flooding around Rosalea, Milton and Toowong.

Back in Noosa now and canal level certainly starting to rise.

Hopefully the house will stay dry.

Big wet supposed to hit us shortly so might be a matter of watch this space.

Richard

Marg4000 likes this.
  15. BB5

BB5 Well-Known Member

Toombul good place to ditch your car as usual.

Marg4000 likes this.
  16. Marg4000

Really have to wonder about the motives of people who park their cars in that bottom carpark when heavy rain predicted......
    Marg

larrylarry and kierank like this.
  17. Simon L

Simon L Well-Known Member

I wonder if car insurance companies can actually do anything about this seemingly obvious fraud?

sharon likes this.
  18. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

I got corrected this morning, apparently it's Melbourne Storm not Brisbane Storm. :confused:

The Y-man and Marg4000 like this.
  19. Heinz57

Heinz57 Well-Known Member

Well.. I have a contrarian view. No doubt we are in for a severe rain depression this evening. The weather will be wild and persons should stay home.

But during the daylight hours today the Brisbane CBD and surrounds experienced a weather condition called....Rain. However 50% of my staff chose not to come to work. Because the Premier and the Police Commissioner told everyone to stay home. Then the staff who recognised the weather condition called "Rain" and drove sensibly to work had to leave work to pick up their children who were clearly going to rust from this aforementioned "Rain".

Then the police commissioner advised that anyone one a late shift should stay home.

On the news this evening the premier suggested that employers should pay staff to stay home for their own safety. The idea that those who chose to say home - and I get that those with childcare issues had no option - should take something called "leave" was ridiculous.

And by the way I run a 24 hour warehousing and logistics business delivering to major hospitals and healthcare facilities. I guess the government will be fine if we send all our staff home.

Joynz, larrylarry, bob shovel and 3 others like this.
  20. Heinz57

Heinz57 Well-Known Member

Thought that posting to my propertychat community would make me feel better but no still angry. FYI is starting to p*** down in the CBD but no gales yet.

Sorry if you run an aged care facility or hospital we are doing our best.

The Y-man and Angel like this.

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia