QLD Brisbane South Side

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Scott, 1st Oct, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Scott

Scott Active Member

Hi All,

Sorry to start another Brisbane thread!

I am in the process of releasing some equity from IP 1 and am now looking to buy IP 2.

I like the look of Brisbane and am looking for a house on the Southside (closer for me to attend inspections). My budget is about 550k but can maybe be stretched a bit to get something decent.

I don't really know Brisbane so am after advice of where to focus my time looking for properties. Ideally I want to be as close to the city as possible and don't want to do major renovations.

After a look through the sold prices on realestate.com.au I may be wise to start in Moorooka? It seems a little cheaper than surrounding suburbs to be that close to the city? (Although the houses seem older)

Do you guys think I will get something decent that close to the city with my budget?

Open to suggestions.

Cheers

2. Property Twins

Property Twins Mortgage Brokers & Buyers Agents Business Member

Land is what will hold value, so houses being old is not so much an issue.

Sounds like a good plan to look at areas that are undervalued, as those being priced out of surrounding areas will look at the cheaper neighbouring suburbs, which will help with future growth. It will be a ripple effect.

Scott likes this.
  3. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

What is the budget limitation due to ?

Deposit or income ?

ta
    rolf

4. Scott

Scott Active Member

Hi Rolf,

A little of both, But mostly income. I want to leave enough in the tank for another purchase in the future

5. jazzsidana

jazzsidana Well-Known Member

Awesome thing is you are in the right city/state!!..

I'll either spend lot of time researching the areas or better option - find a good BA!!...

Cheers,

6. Whitecat

Whitecat Well-Known Member

Go northside. The same side as the cbd.

Elives likes this.
  7. Scott

Scott Active Member

I don't think I can justify paying a BA as I only live an hour away. Looks like many hours researching and driving coming up.

Interesting idea re: Northside - I just figured the southside is fine and since I live South of Brisbane I would just look there. Any particular suburbs you like?

8. Noobieboy

Noobieboy Well-Known Member

+ 1 for the Northside. A lot posted here why. Uni, Infrastructure and no need to cross the river for CBD. Maybe other reasons as well.

9. iloveqld

iloveqld Well-Known Member

Go south, I hate driving around the north specially in peak hours.
    Moorooka looks right with the budget but flood check and extend the search further will also help to pick a good buy
    Good luck.

Tom Rivera, Tim86 and Shazi like this.
  10. Noobieboy

Noobieboy Well-Known Member

South has more traffic than north. Especially as you get towards the tiny, two bridges, you need to cross. Pwease.

11. Big Will

Big Will Well-Known Member

I prefer south side, probably because I grew up there.

For me I would look around Coopers Plains or Runcorn - you get demand from City with the train line but also get demand from Asian buyers that cannot afford Sunnybank. Coopers Plains has the hospital and unis right next door.

Another benefit is you can catch a train to the Gold Coast or Airport.

Disclosure I own in Coopers Plains but I was looking at Salisbury & Kuraby as well as Runcorn when I was last purchasing because of these reasons.

kierank likes this.
  12. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Ahhh... the old North vs South argument. No way would I live on the northside, but I also grew up on the southside. That is pretty much how it goes. It is an argument with no winners. It comes down to personal choice.

There are good suburbs on both sides of the river. You can get to the uni over the green bridge. The "small bridges"(?) don't matter if you aren't driving a car because with good bus corridors, who's on the bridge anyway?

And if you are in a car, then you have a whole other set of problems... parking for a start.

I'd suggest a visit to several suburbs on each side and see how they feel.

kierank, Tim86 and willair like this.
  13. Todd

Todd Well-Known Member

Take a drive around the centenary suburbs or jindalee etc and on the other side of freeway being mount ommaney, 17 mile rocks and Oxley. Good access to airport via legacy tunnel from those suburbs and they are nice middle class suburbs. Just check flood maps some streets are flood prone.

14. Codie

Codie Well-Known Member

Not from Brisbane at all, but have lived both south, north, and east Brisbane.

From an investment point of view prefer the north, around your budget can find high owner Occ suburbs with Add val potential, big houses, big blocks, good demographics. Leafy suburbs

From an amenity & travel/drive to city i rate south better, however for your budget have to go further out, seems not the same renovations are taking place at your budget level.

Complelty baffles me why the south is $100k higher in some cases

Patrick Bateman likes this.
  15. Gazza215

Gazza215 Member

Brisbane would have great long term potential. Hang in there with Brissie.

I know of many folks who are moving up there.

16. Scott

Scott Active Member

Thanks All.

I didn't know there was a North side vs Southside thing going on. lol

Logistically the Southside is easier for me to get to so will probably start there

17. BB5

BB5 Well-Known Member

I work in the city and find the drive on the whole is irrelevant pretty much everyone I work with get public transport.

Those in the west seem to whinge the most about their commute followed by the south siders and I think the northsiders have the best of it due to mainly getting trains.

This is a generalisation.

Noobieboy and Scott like this.
  18. Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman Well-Known Member

Your options would increase a LOT if you could bump up your budget by about $100k . $550k won’t buy you a lot , $650k however is a different story

iloveqld, Codie and Scott like this.
  19. Kangabanga

Kangabanga Well-Known Member

Northside driving is a PITA though, gotta watch out for speed cams or mobile police traps everywhere, I swear there's one every few km u travel. Glad I live southside and mostly work southside.

And yes rush-hour traffic can get pretty bad pretty much everywhere but only for a few hours, not as bad as Sydney.

Tom Rivera, iloveqld and Scott like this.
  20. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

Brisbane is not about north. South, East, West..
    It's about proximity and access to the high paying and diverse jobs those are very much concentrated in the cbd.
    You will also see similar performance and look n feel of similar suburbs whichever direction from the cbd as evidence of that.
    Because of that there is a higher willingness to go in very different directions _ hence higher competition , something you don't see much in Sydney or even Melbourne ..e.g someone from east in Sydney will think twice about West Sydney. This doesn't happen to that degree in Brisbane.

Sackie and Scott like this.