Brisbane selling agent fee

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by Humphrey, 18th Jul, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Humphrey

Humphrey Well-Known Member

Hi,

We're looking to sell a property in Nundah, Brisbane. The agent has quoted us a selling fee of 2.75% (2.5% + 10% GST). Is this an Ok rate?

If anyone who has sold in Brisbane recently, can you tell us what rate you paid?

Thank you.
    H.

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

That is what we've always paid in Brisbane. At least, in my experience.

Now there are agents (Place being one) that charge 3%+ GST.

I've always wondered why nobody seems to haggle in Brisbane where it seems from reading this forum that in Sydney and Melbourne the agent fees can be much lower than we pay.

Humphrey likes this.
  3. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

We know of two local instances where the vendor tried to negotiate fees and were told to take it or leave it. The effective agents seem to know their value and stick to it.
    Marg

4. wylie

Agree with this. When my mother was selling houses, I knew a lot of agents. This was never discussed. Nobody seemed to haggle with the fees (long time ago now).

I do know that at times an agent will forgo part of their fee to get the deal together. It depends on the deal, how much time they've spent getting to the "almost together" contract, the state of the market etc.

My parents had this happen when they sold about 30 years ago, and our neighbours had a local agent drop her fee by a few thousand rather than lose the deal (about seven years ago).

But this was at the final stages, when neither vendor nor purchaser would budge any further and rather than lose the listing, the agent gave up some of the fee.

Marg4000 likes this.
  5. fumid

fumid Well-Known Member

So agent charge high fees is a good agent?
    Those Sydney and Melbourne agent who charge 1.5% did a great job to push price high.
    Brisbane agent market short of competition.

Dean Collins likes this.
  6. wylie

My opinion is that those agents who charge 3% when regular agents are at 2.5% think they can (and do) charge more because they seem to get the high profile and high price properties.

I also feel there is a bit of “class system” involved. Like telling anyone who will listen (or who may be impressed by) which elite school you are sending the kids to. These people also will expect you to sell with one of the elite agencies.

That is my opinion anyway.

And I don’t think the agents at these higher end places are better agents but just that there is a certain snob value involved.

7. Marg4000

We live in an area highly desirable to Asian buyers.

It’s not snob value. The two highest profile agencies have extensive international networks and many sales result from those avenues. In many ways they seem to have the market sewn up.
    Marg

8. wylie

What do your local agents charge @Marg ?

I know there is snob value or at least a perception in my area that you would only list with one of the premier agencies.

This is coming from the same people who wouldn't be seen dropping their kids to school in an “ordinary” car. Not my world but it is real.

9. Marg4000

Never investigated personally, but believe it is in line with REIQ recommended rates and is non-negotiable.
    Marg