QLD Brisbane/QLD Overhype

Discussion in 'Property Analysis' started by standtall, 22nd May, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. standtall

standtall Well-Known Member

No wonder so many people burn their hands in the RE game!! :)

It's all luck and nobody knows what's going on - class 'poor dad' belief if you have read 'Rich dad, poor dad'

Tim86 and MTR like this.
  2. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

I have to disagree with you on that one. The last Sydney boom was impossible to miss if you were watching. Even coming in half way you would have done bloody well. It was really obvious about after the first 9 months of all the stats going wild, tv media, discounting getting less and less, for sale signs going up everywhere.

It wasn't hard to jump on if someone wanted to.

Just my opinion.

MTR, standtall and bob shovel like this.
  3. markson

markson Well-Known Member

This is not a good thread to be reading when I am flying to Brisbane tomorrow :eek::eek:

sharon, MTR, Barny and 1 other person like this.
  4. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Middle ring. House. Add value. BMV. Youll be fine ;)

Whitecat, Heinz57, Foxdan and 4 others like this.
  5. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Why? If you read anything into this thread you need glasses

Ed Barton likes this.
  6. Sonamic

Sonamic Well-Known Member

;)

7. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Speak up or else! :p

8. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

same with Perth and Melb, stock tightening an demand increasing

But if it were that easy to identify why were the herd buying in Brissy and Adelaide, the hype and the lower entry was why many investors ignored the booming States IMO

9. headsonbeds

headsonbeds Well-Known Member

Just saying you can have the same or at least similar conditions for years with no boom then a sudden run up in prices with little change in the fundamentals.

In reverse - boom looks like it should change to bust for such "obverse" reasons, but no bust happens.

Sentiment seems to play at least as important a part as fundamentals, and perhaps sentiment and hype are just pieces of the same pie.

PS luck does play a part.

Sorry a little off bris topic.

10. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

Like picking the next share market winner its easy to say what has happened rather than what will happen. That horse has bolted, the harder a city has run the more wary I am.

Sydney's got great fundamentals, strong economy, low stock levels and vacancy rates but with huge growth over the last 3 years and a stratospheric median house price the question is whats left for current purchases?
    Considering the median income is only 10 maybe 15% higher not much would be my suggestion.
    Give it 7+ years, in the mean time its worth considering other options.

Once vacancy rates and prices stabilize I'm keen to get into the Perth market. No hype or BS, i know very little about it but at some point very soon it will present some great opportunities.

Then I'll have 4 states covered.

I missed Sydney, lesson learned but I've been fortunate to catch the earlier 2002-3 booms and Brisbane in 07.

If Labor somehow is elected and their legislation agenda passes both houses the days of deploying capital short term will no longer be viable. Capital gains tax will hurt too much.

I don't mind people hyping an area personally, often they know considerably more about an area than I do and know what makes a location a suitable investment option.

Like any investing decision it requires thinking for yourself.

11. headsonbeds

headsonbeds Well-Known Member

If I remember most of the hype was for Sydney and a little for Melb, not much was around for Bris. Talking 2013 here aren't we?

12. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Couldn't agree more.

13. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Go back to SS threads

yes lots of hype on Syd I agree.. thanks to Steve and Seechange, but it was actually booming

14. Sonamic

Are people on here trying to hype a boom into fruition to fuel their own interests?
    Sydney is considered common PC knowledge to be over. Some are still buying there.
    Melbourne is cracking on, and will continue to do so for some time due to fresh immigration not being able to afford to live in Sydney. Fastest growing Capital in the country and is predicted to be Australia's biggest city by 2030 outstripping even Sydney for population. Smart money is buying there now.
    Brisbane is being hyped as the next go to just because that's how it's always been historically. It's moving, but nowhere near as quickly as what you'll buy in Melbourne with today's money. This may be a time where history doesn't predict future? Cycle shift anyone?
    Adelaide is hyping up because it's cheaper to buy in. Herd is heading there.
    Perth is being called dead and still dying, not many see positive prospects for another year or 2, and even then calls are it'll be slow growth because no mines equals no money. Apparently. But yet it's still a Capital City and like Brisbane is not totally reliant on mining, or is it? What say you Perth locals? Get in before the herd seems to be good hype to me.
    Am I anywhere near the pulse?

Whitecat, Cactus, WattleIdo and 3 others like this.
  15. bob shovel

Pffft! thinking schminking :D

Just need to be at the front of the herd! :cool:

16. bob shovel

That's the great thing about numbers they can be manipulated to tell whatever story you like:cool:

HUGH72 likes this.
  17. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Follow me and i'll lead you to the land of milk and honey :D

MTR likes this.
  18. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

nah, follow bobshovel... :)

Last edited: 22nd May, 2016
  19. Sonamic

True. Hard numbers can't though. In my neck of the woods I can build new with Costs in for 400k and rent for $450 a week. Melbourne is from what I've read getting towards 370k to build and renting for $380 a week. This time last year you could do that same build in Melbourne for 320k. And yes buy and hold new H&L is my strategy.

Cactus, larrylarry and bob shovel like this.
  20. bob shovel

Will there be beer and chips on this journey? Maybe some in flight entertainment to?