Brisbane Purchase

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Zelph, 3rd Jan, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Zelph

Zelph Member

Hi Everyone,

I have been lurking on this site for some years and have really enjoyed reading all your thoughts.
    I am looking at making my first investment property purchase and have wanted to buy in Brisbane for the past few years but have been hampered by busy life and analysis paralysis. I am in Brisbane for 3-4 weeks on holiday currently and want to visit some key areas attend opens etc. though not many on at the moment. I am looking at between $300k- $380k and would like some advise where I should focus my efforts. I am seeking strong capital growth with a solid yield. I don't really want to stuff the first one up. Over the past couple of years my interest has been in Windsor, Ipswich, Greenslopes, Redcliffe Peninsula and now Runcorn or Acacia Ridge. I have focused mainly on Townhouses due to the price point. So any help to assist in targeting one area would be appreciated.

Zelph

Tekoz likes this.
  2. trinity168

trinity168 Well-Known Member

hi @Zelph , check Angel's post #77, good insight into Brisbane's residents and their mindset in terms of renting t/h vs houses. Also lots of info provided on the thread.

North Brisbane

Hope that helps. Good luck.

3. Dwalsh

Dwalsh Well-Known Member

I think Ipswich you will be waiting longer for capital growth. I like dbay, if you need better yields, it has a lot going for it, and if your on the bay side it would be better. Land is hard to get there. I like Runcorn as well, not as good yields but good growth, it has already had abit of growth already. Just check because some of these areas don't have a strong yield. If you struggle to pay for an ip then I would look around Logan, or dbay. If you can hold onto the property with a poorer yield I would go Runcorn as its neighbouring suburbs have a lot higher median price with Asian influence. I have one in Ipswich and hasn't grown to much yet, dbay has risen from 259,000 to a bit over 300k now. And have one in Logan/ crestmead and it has gone from 305,000 to 350 ish. Next I will look at Runcorn if I go Brisi again

Greyghost likes this.
  4. trinity168

trinity168 Well-Known Member

hi @Dwalsh , what is the timeline of your purchases, if you do not mind sharing. Thanks.

5. Dwalsh

Dwalsh Well-Known Member

Ipswich, 8 months, has moved about 20k at most, but I did buy it 20k under. Dbay a year and a half, Logan two years. All estimates, dbay is doing really well, but I feel long term will do the best. Mainly because it's 4 streets from the water not far from new train lines and the land is scarce that side of the highway. I feel Ipswich long term will do well but will take the longest to do so. Safer bet would be closer to cbd or redcliffe area

Taku Ekanayake, Tekoz and trinity168 like this.
  6. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Thanks for the positive comments trinity. My post was specifically for Moreton Bay but I guess would cover the rest of outer Brisbane too.

trinity168 likes this.
  7. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Personally, i would be trying my best to buy a house as close to the CBD as possible with the budget you can afford. I am not sure if 300-380k is just a number you decided on or is it your comfortabiity limit etc but if you can increase it a little i would.

Greyghost likes this.
  8. Zelph

Zelph Member

Thanks everyone for your comments. Leo that price is indicative I could probably go more if needed and looks like I would need to to get a house rather than townhouse and CG is more important to me than yield. Dwalsh when you refer to deception bay what suburbs in partucular does that include? Of the main coastal regions being deception bay, Scarborough/Redcliffe and Wynnum/Redlands which do you feel is at the earliest point in the timing clock and most likely to increase in the short term?

9. Steven Ryan

Steven Ryan Well-Known Member

Like @Leo2413, I'd be gunning for a house as close to the CBD as is reasonable, and on the biggest block you can find.

The Logan area and up north (follow the train line) will be within your budget and you can find 6%+ yields pretty easily.

Have a chat to your broker @Zelph, and work out your borrowing capacity and how you will go from this one to the next and the next (within your risk profile). This is really important. This should be what determines your budget and desired rental return IMO.

Taku Ekanayake and Sackie like this.
  10. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Deception Bay is the name of a suburb.
    No one has mentioned Sandgate, Shorncliffe and Brighton.

733 likes this.
  11. RPI

RPI SDA Provider, Town Planner, Former Property Lawyer

Ipswich (unfortunately) can be volatile price wise. So you can get a great run of Capital Gains but then it can go backwards. Timed right or bought at the right time people do well but have also seen people get burnt. If you are after long term hold and the cash flow is right then prospects would be much better than if you had a specific exist time.

12. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Long term, I think Wynnum/Redlands should do better than Redcliffe, I think they will continue to attract a bit nicer/wealthier demographic. But in the short term the North will perform well because of the rail. But on the whole it may just be that bit too far out and the train trip just that bit too long and so perhaps Wynnum/Redlands will always be that little bit more premium. I could be wrong though. But I think there's good CG to come in all these areas if purchased at a good price, and its definitely possible to buy around Redcliffe (and into Kippa Ring) for very low prices and see strong % gains as they are coming off a low base.

I would not ignore Angel's suggestion of Sandgate, Shorncliffe and Brighton though. I believe they are quite a bit more desirable than Redcliffe. Redcliffe is seemingly just one bridge further away (give or take) yet Redcliffe requires a much longer train ride into the city, which I think will be a pain in the butt to many who have to commute into the city.

Ps. I'm a Sydneysider who doesn't live in Brisbane. So I could be wrong....;)

Last edited: 4th Jan, 2016
  13. Rich2011

Rich2011 Well-Known Member

A
    A few positives on Dbay, its only about 20 mins drive to the airport (and the road up past the entertainment centre is getting a good upgrade), its not far to Bribie island which is quite popular and its east to get the the Sunshine Coast too. The train trip shouldn't be too bad once completed. Also you have the Northlakes shopping centre close by which is expanding every week it seems, and you have Costco (and the general area has the cheapest fuel in Brisbane pretty much :)) Also there is a new large residential development going in, more bayside blocks near Newport, and plenty of rumours about a big developer buying up waterfront land in Dbay for a big prestige development... Pick the right parts of Dbay and I think its got a lot going for it. Just got to ensure you pay the right price.........

Taku Ekanayake likes this.
  14. Whitecat

Whitecat Well-Known Member

Wynnum will be more premium because it's a lot closer