QLD Brisbane Property Q4 2016

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Whitecat, 1st Oct, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. euro73

euro73 Well-Known Member Business Member

The beautiful Hills District, Sydney Australia
    When you consider that multiple cashed up Australian developers have shelved Brisbane projects in the past 6 months due to serious concerns about settlement risks, I'd be very surprised if the Chinese or Singaporean developers who are buying up land, do much with it, at least for the next few years.

Building additional high density in Brisbane right now just doesnt pass a basic feasibility test. There are already tens of thousands of apartments under construction in Brisbane, and while its a decent sized city, it just doesn't have the ability to absorb even more supply right now and over the next 12 months or so. It would require that a much higher percentage of migrants settled there than currently do so... and it would also require that a lot more retirees moved there - and that both groups of potential buyers wanted apartments . Neither of those things are going to happen as Brisbane just doesnt offer the right employment opportunities on the same scale as Sydney and Melbourne, and retirees interested in buying apartments are much more likely to be considering the Gold Coast or Sunshine Coast.

But even if none of those issues existed on the demand side, there's also the fundamental problem of commercial funding - very very very difficult getting commercial funding for large projects right now , and has been for @ 12 months or more.... that wont change until all the current pipeline is delivered.

AaronR likes this.
  2. Whitecat

Whitecat Well-Known Member

From residex suburb profile report.
    Yes i have a house there and yes according to residex reports, Cth bank app, and recent sales those percentages are correct.

3. Whitecat

Whitecat Well-Known Member

I agree with you partly in the case of the link that I posted that was student accommodation and that is a new one so they are intending to go ahead if they get da approval.
    I also think that a lot of the Asian developers are more open to the Asian market and know how to aim their product towards that and that's why they are more bullish.
    But yes some of the purchases would be shelved for a few years and they are just land banking.

4. euro73

euro73 Well-Known Member Business Member

The beautiful Hills District, Sydney Australia
  5. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Last edited by a moderator: 13th May, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.