QLD Brisbane Property Q1 2018

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Property Twins, 1st Jan, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kangabanga

Kangabanga Well-Known Member

So when it floods again there will be more floors for residents to go up and keep dry. Lol.

But seriously, more height usually means more units and more $$ for developers and ultimately more tax for gov, and fees for council.

2. RPI

RPI SDA Provider, Town Planner, Former Property Lawyer

West End residents are very anti-development, as is the local BCC councillor. Painful area to do business in.

db9, Sackie and Patrick Bateman like this.
  3. Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman Well-Known Member

4. Kangabanga

Kangabanga Well-Known Member

(I have been buying nuts and olives from that wholesale Mega Continental Greek grocer place for years. They used to own the shop opposite which they sold to developers. They also sold the business to a Chinese guy. I have seen the apartments go up over the past few years. Definite oversupply there. Though it's quite near to one of the top state schools ~> Brisbane state school , my friend's kids had to do some sort of entry test to gain admission. )

From what I can see, the units are the ones built on previously industrial land in the industrial district and not over at the residential area?

So rezoning for higher density should not be a surprise no? I don't think there are any old detached residences in that particular area? I am sure residents would not mind crummy old industrial shops and warehouses turned into shiny new buildings?

Last edited: 23rd Feb, 2018
  5. EricIP

EricIP Well-Known Member

I thought it would have been nice if council built schools on the montague and keep riverside of the montague rd to low/medium density.

Whitecat and Patrick Bateman like this.
  6. Patrick Bateman

There is a distinct lack of good planning and long term foresight in Brisbane when it comes to development unfortunately :(

Angel and Whitecat like this.
  7. Whitecat

Whitecat Well-Known Member

Also next to uni. The Chinese have pumped up saint Lucia wait till you see them hit Red Hill and Kelvin Grove harder

8. Whitecat

Let me know if I can help if you're not brisbane-based

Sackie likes this.
  9. Whitecat

One reason for the discrepancy between Red Hill and Camp Hill could be explained by the fact that Red Hill has generally fairly small blocks around the 400 square metres - workers cottages - where as Camp Hill probably more has the 600 square metre blocks. Also probably slightly more opportunity for demolition in Camp Hill with more post Wars Red Hill is completely Queenslanders being an old inner suburb.

10. Whitecat

How I occupy my time when not on propertychat is sending letters to council pointing out how bad they are and trying to convince them to at least get into 2000 if not 2018 with their planning. We need a shake up and I'm not talking along political lines here. We just need better planning. More honouring of Heritage more respect for green space and more creation of genuine public amenity. And yes all of that is good for business and good for home prices

Angel, Corkey, Sackie and 1 other person like this.
  11. Whitecat

Add milk Milton to that. North of coronation and south of Huessler will be 100% tall residential Towers and that's not such a bad thing because it's not imposing on the river and there's no Heritage left there. the Heritage starts north of Huessler. Milton is really starting to pump down by the train station there's a new cafe or bar or barber shop opening up all the time and that's only from a couple of towers being built at this stage but there's many more on the way

Last edited: 23rd Feb, 2018
  12. Patrick Bateman

Spot on mate , it's scary to see how incompetent and probably corrupt the whole thing is.

Whitecat likes this.
  13. First time Investor

First time Investor Active Member

Interesting video looking at macroeconomic trends around Brisbane with the Kouk and a few others

Whitecat likes this.
  14. Patrick Bateman

I am too lazy to watch 37mins of it, what are the main takeaways?

namrata and Whitecat like this.
  15. First time Investor

First time Investor Active Member

First 8-10 minutes are about Bris property market. Message was really that there is a mixed bag for Brisbane right now. The good was the flow of Mexicans into town and economic conditions seem stronger than they have for a while, but the feeling was high-paying jobs remain problematic and Kouk suggested again, as he has done elsewhere, that RBA needs to cut rates to get business investment going and they missed a trick recently. They seemed to agree that APRA changes + changes around IO lending could be combined with a rate cut without a bubble appearing in Brisbane or nationally.

Patrick Bateman likes this.
  16. Patrick Bateman

Thanks mate :)

17. eletronic_exp0430

eletronic_exp0430 Well-Known Member

Patrick Bateman likes this.
  18. Noobieboy

Noobieboy Well-Known Member

Overall construction work in Queensland fell three per cent during the December quarter and 10.9 per cent over the year, according to the ABS figures.

10.9% is not dropping “fast” it’s barely adjusting.

19. Patrick Bateman

Overall construction but how about relating to units specifically? We don't won't overall construction to stop as it is a major driver of the qld economy.

20. Raku2018

Raku2018 Member

I am a Sydneysider planning to buy a property in QLD, and looking for a solicitor in Sydney who is doing conveyancing for QLD properties...Any recommendation?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.