QLD Brisbane Property Q1 2018

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Property Twins, 1st Jan, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. headsonbeds

headsonbeds Well-Known Member

Whitecat likes this.
  2. headsonbeds

headsonbeds Well-Known Member

Oops just checked other states, they're all at 100% lol.

Good clearance rates Oz :D or bad data :mad:

3. Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman Well-Known Member

I checked it yesterday and it was saying clearance rate of 77% and around 50 auctions . In any case the number of auctions are too small to read much into it

4. fols

fols Well-Known Member

It’s holiday season. Nothing really fires up until after Australia Day.

5. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Given how hot it is in Brisbane this weekend, and how this is following on from Sydney's weather last week, it points to one thing.

Boom inevitable

Journeyman and Propin like this.
  6. sash

sash Well-Known Member

7. Whitecat

Whitecat Well-Known Member

Some areas of Pine Rivers are already 'priced in' from an investors point of view.
    I am not saying it wont rise along with general Brisbane but the properties close to the future uni have all had their jump already. Perhaps still a good investment but those who got in a couple of years ago before the uni was common knowledge made the good money.

Jamesaurus likes this.
  8. KnockKnock

KnockKnock Well-Known Member

Even the latest HTW report has indicated Pine rivers areas to be reaching it upswing peak...Ever since the Uni information hit the price growth has surged already...

Whitecat likes this.
  9. Toby

Toby Well-Known Member

10. Ed Barton

Ed Barton Well-Known Member

11. Patrick Bateman

Shots fired

12. Ed Barton

Ed Barton Well-Known Member

The author, not the poster.

13. Patrick Bateman

Yeah I figured , I am just stirring . The quality of articles on realestate.com is consistantly awful. There was one the other day about how the Southside of Brisbane was going to boom and their only source was an agent on the Southside who said he believed it would

Whitecat likes this.
  14. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Mansfield had a good reputation when our son (now 29) was looking to go to a high school. So it has been a sought after school for many years, but I do think (guessing) that would have been very different say 30 years ago. I don't know when it became popular and the general point you are making is valid.

Cavendish Road high school is another example. We would never have sent our kids there. That is where all the local yobbos went who didn't go private. But it is a highly regarded school now, similar to BSHS, and families move to the area to get their kids in. Times do change things very drastically.

When my parents bought their house at Balmoral Heights (locality name - no suburb called Balmoral Heights really - but to show it was on the hill), they couldn't afford the new 60s brick suburbs facing the Gateway Bridge (which was not there then either). Nobody wanted the side of the hill facing the city. There was nothing to look at and the city hall was the highest building. Nothing to see here... move along.

Now, that is the millionaire side of the hill (and has been that way for at least 30 years since we also bought on that hill).

So the people who could afford to buy on the new side of the hill would these days have a house worth maybe $800/$1m and the house my parents paid 1,000 pounds for in 1966 currently has a five bedroom new build on it, but the land alone has a UCV of $950 (which seems quite low). The house over the road sold for $4.5m. There are multi-million dollar homes there because it now has panoramic city and suburban views.

My parents could have held onto that house when they moved, rented it out. Everyone told them "houses will never go up in value" so they sold it. DOH!

RPI, KayTea, luckyone and 2 others like this.
  15. wylie

Interest article on the Brisbane inner area rental market posted above. Two and a half years ago, we had a tenant break the lease (bought their own house) and we suddenly found we couldn't get a tenant for what we'd been getting.

We'd been getting $600, had just increased it to $615. So really it wasn't worth $615 but that family paid because they knew they would leave soon.

When they did leave, we realised rentals in that area were so flat and likely that was because so many new townhouses and apartments have gone in - so much to choose from.

We ended up dropping each week (for about three weeks) and bit the bullet and rented it for $500. That hurt the cashflow.

We've just rented it for $600 per week and were told it was the pick of the houses the new tenant looked at. There seemed to be a huge jump from around $600 (3x1) to $750+ (second bathroom, maybe fourth bedroom).

Finally we've almost caught up.

luckyone and Kassy like this.
  16. Whitecat

I didn't read that bit. I got my info from agents who felt some properties were being sold to southern investors above what they should be worth. Still a good long term investment but you have to get one at a good price and not overpay just because its walking distance to the eventual uni.
    Lots of other areas to look at that don't have so much investor attention.

17. Whitecat

I am surprised because there are more apartments than ever now. Should be just as bad if not worse.
    Perhaps proves that in Brisbane trading a house for a (even brand new and shiny) apartment is not a preferred option for many.

18. wylie

We held one open house, two prospective applicants, both took applications.

I suspect the fact they had two dogs meant they weren't looking at apartments, but there are not many houses for less weekly rent than ours in the suburb. A few $500 and under per week that looked terrible in the photos (and would look worse in real life). Ours at $600 and then a big jump for that second bathroom.

Interestingly, a few days before our open house, a new house came on, same price, and I thought I'd have to drop $20 per week to compete with it. But our tenant inspected it too, and said ours was superior. I was surprised as, having to pick from photos, I'd have chosen the other one in a heartbeat.

Whitecat likes this.
  19. Kassy

Kassy Well-Known Member

We have tenants moving out of a townhouse in Camp Hill in a couple of weeks. Had our first open on the weekend and had 7groups go through, got 2 good applications and have signed one up.

We were going to increase the rent but some new townhouses came on the market last week as well so we left it the same. I wonder now if we should have increased it though now.

It’s funny, this townhouse has always taken about 3 weeks to get a tenant minimum regardless of supply. Real pain in the backside but great capital gain overall. Something has definitely turned in the market.

Observer likes this.
  20. Noobieboy

Noobieboy Well-Known Member

Nothing “turned” in the market. It’s the timing. I’m looking for a place to rent and the listing arenso few that I’m forced to go to *******es I would usually ignore. Might end up pushing my moving date to March.

A few weeks even months new observations doesn’t make it a “turn” or the new normal. It’s the timing. Like always. Timing is important.

Disclosure. Not in Brisbane but in a place that usually seem a much higher demand for rentals.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.