QLD Brisbane Property 2017

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Steven Ryan, 1st Jan, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Francesco

Francesco Well-Known Member

2. nth brisbanite

nth brisbanite Well-Known Member

This has been the same definition for as long as I can remember. With the rapid urbanisation of Brisbane, I believe that inner now means up to 8 km radius, middle up to 15 km radius and outer 15km plus.

I have children who live in Newmarket (5.7km from CBD) and Kedron (7km) and can't believe they live middle ring. I live in Aspley and don't believe it is an outer suburb.

Last edited: 28th Dec, 2017
    Elives and Patrick Bateman like this.
  3. Alex123711

Alex123711 Well-Known Member

Hi guys, looking for some advice, i'm considering buying in the inner ring in Brisbane, my preference is units for the low maintenance and more convenient lifestyle, I prefer to live in apartments rather that a house. It will initially be an investment property but hopefully move into it within a couple of years, it will be a long term hold, preferably 2 bedroom and preferably within walking distance to city. I realise a lot of people are saying not to buy in Brisbane at the moment with all the new developments/ units being sold, however it still seems very cheap when comparing to Sydney and Melbourne..is everywhere in Australia just ridiculously overpriced? A lot of cities in the U.S sell for 2-3 times income. Am I better off waiting and are units really a bad investment?

4. Inov8ive

Inov8ive Well-Known Member

I am surprised that Keperra is an outer ring suburb. I feel its middle ring for sure

5. Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman Well-Known Member

It is more a guide I wouldn't get too hung up on it. There are middle ring suburbs with higher medians than others that are considered inner ring...

6. Patrick Bateman

I personally would steer clear if your goal is to have any captital growth in the next 5 years. If you really want convenience etc maybe look st townhouses as they don't have quite the same stigma about them however should still be in a position of power as a buyer at the moment .

Last edited: 28th Dec, 2017
  7. Alex123711

I'd be looking to hold for 10+ years if that makes any difference. Didn't realise there's a stigma for apartments? I might look at townhouses, the main thing for me is location, I hate commuting and places that are a 10-20 minute drive to the city now can easily turn into 30-45 minute drive down the track like Sydney..

8. Patrick Bateman

Yep massive stigma at the moment . Townhouses still have a bit of a stigma however not as bad as units. Having said that your nice owner occ style units in areas that are not hugely overdeveloped will fare a lot better than invester grade dog boxes in the overdeveloped areas. We are probably another 12-18 months from the unit market bottoming out.

9. Alex123711

What's the stigma?

10. Patrick Bateman

They just built way too many units so there is a massive oversupply. The problem with units is they can always build more which can limit your captital growth. I would be sticking to houses or at least townhouses.

Antoni0 likes this.
  11. BST

BST Member

Oversupply of appartment means they will not appreciate for sometime. Also if you're buying a new or near new unit in a large development you have zero scarcity, probably high body corporate fees. If you really want one look for an older one on a block with less than 10. I think that's the general wisdom.

12. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Disaster with a double D. And not the good kind.

BST and Antoni0 like this.
  13. Antoni0

Antoni0 Well-Known Member

14. nth brisbanite

My argument is that the guide should change as Brisbane has changed so much in the last decade or two since the last definition of inner suburbs etc came out.
    That was June 2017. Have things changed since then?

15. Antoni0

Antoni0 Well-Known Member

Not really there's even more units around since then but anything is worth investing in if you can get into it for a bargain price, if it's empty for a few months who cares.

16. Patrick Bateman

Would be even worse if you own an old apartment in those areas, who wants to rent an old tired unit when you can rent and brand new one and get a free iPad!

17. nth brisbanite

18. Alex123711

Sydney units seem have done/ doing well recently, more than doubled in a few years in some places. I'm sure people were saying these were a bad idea/ expensive back then?

19. Patrick Bateman

I understand where you are coming from however Sydney is a very different beast to Brisbane. Sydney has geographical boundaries that limit the the availability of new land and is also more of a global city along the lines of London and New York etc that has a much stronger demand generally than Brisbane. I guess what I am saying is don't assume what happens in Sydney will happen in Brisbane especially when it comes to units .

Jose Eduardo Slompo likes this.
  20. BB5

BB5 Well-Known Member

Those who want a unit at a decent size i imagine. These new ones often you can't swing a cat. Also many of these new ones are built up overlooking many roads while the older ones are down nice quiet streets.

Patrick Bateman likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.