QLD Brisbane Properties - missed the boat?

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by M-THIS, 28th Jul, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. M-THIS

M-THIS Well-Known Member

I just want some advice on the Brissy market and from people who invest interstate.

1. Brisbane - is this still a good buy? Especially the off plan apartments circa $550-600k for a 2BR. Too much supply coming on tap?

2. Which high quality Brissy suburbs are in high demand (ie comparable to North Shore Sydney)

3. Off the plan prices have been steady increasing, but I know there is excess margin for these developers and various agents - perhaps freehold properties are better if market still improving... How does one start looking?

4. How do you investors keep an eye on good areas and monitor movements interstate? I would say I have an excellent knowledge in my local area, but even other parts of Sydney I struggle to identify good buying opportunities early (or a rising market) until its too late.... let alone suburbs interstate. Surely you cannot keep abreast of all areas at once. Whats the strategy people employ, (say capital city only) to look for good buying or early stages of a rising market.

2. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

Brisbane feels like Sydney late 2012, early 2013. That is, prices have gone up and you won't be buying at rock bottom, but there's still growth ahead.

3. See Change

See Change Well-Known Member

Depending on where you buy , Brisbane is either hot or starting to wake up .

I'm not that familiar with the inner circle , but the places we bought in late 2013 in manly / Wynnum have probably moved up 5-10 % as has our one an only ( and not again , though it's worked out ok ) OTP in Tenerife .

There is much talk about an oversupply of central OTP's in Brisbane so be wary .

In the outer areas prices are around the previous 2009 peak or just below , depending on the area .

Cliff

4. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

Most of brisbane has moved , but not significantly so. Some areas more than others. Still plenty of gas in the tank.

5. vbplease

vbplease Well-Known Member

I think the general growth figure Brisbane has had over the previous 12 months has been about 12%. There have been some hot suburbs which have had quite a bit more e.g. Southside - Greenslopes, Coorparoo, Camp Hill, Holland Park.
    Not sure if you want to touch those suburbs?

One area worth looking into, which may have not taken off quite as much, is the suburbs benefiting from the new 'Legacy Way' e.g. Chapel Hill, Kenmore, Fig Tree Pocket. I noticed Terry Ryder had Kenmore Hills as the second worst performer for Brisbane not long ago.. ready to take off maybe?

M-THIS likes this.
  6. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

Last edited: 28th Jul, 2015
  7. Sea Eagles88

Sea Eagles88 Well-Known Member

i know this is a thread on Brisbane, but if you threw a dart in any sydney suburb and bought it in 2012 or 2013 you would've made a motza. Can the same be said about Brisbane (ie within 25 km to city) ?

HUGH72 likes this.
  8. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

1.yes, Too much supply of OTP apartments yes.
    2. Inner south and southeast,Inner north and north west.
    Quality suburb- not that straight forward IMO as it can come down to streets and pockets of suburbs. Remember many so called ' blue chip' suburbs are close to the BN river and went under water.
    3. Yes, its not hard to just start researching a couple of suburbs.
    4 Get on the ground. Often when a market rises a whole cluster of suburbs or even a geographical area rise in value despite what people like to say about how smart they have been

M-THIS likes this.
  9. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

Yes that's what I was thinking as well

10. charlie72

charlie72 Member

I was going to say exactly this. The only thing I could add would be that some suburbs would have moved quite a bit and others not so much yet so if you can identify this then there could be some extra cream.

11. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

For people who have been watching closely, there have been pockets that have outperformed pockets of Sydney. I purchased a 5 bedder with a 2 bed granny flat for 730k last year. A few months ago a smaller house and land about 200m down the road (3 bedder, no granny flat, smaller land, busier road) sold for just under 900k. I've seen even crazier stuff. Most investors here are focused on Logan but upper end properties are moving very quickly with huge premiums. I posted quite a few examples of this back on SS. It's not as crazy as you've seen in parts of Sydney but I would say parts of Brisbane are well past the "warming up" stage.

pugstar205 likes this.

PFI provide our clients with the opportunity to purchase an investment property, together with performing equity investments from a wide range of ASX listed securities some providing monthly income. This is the value of advice.