Brisbane PPOR up to $1.6m

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Decimator4000, 10th Apr, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Decimator4000

Decimator4000 Member

G'day all,

Some of you may remember me from Somersoft Property Forum. Its been a long time between drinks.

My family and I are moving from Canberra to sunny Brisbane in the coming months. We are looking for a 4/2/2 with nothing to do, close to a train station, parks and a corner shop. My wife and I will be working in the city and thus do not want to be too much further out than 10kms.

Our initial research has us focussed on Camp Hill and the surrounding suburbs N and W. In saying this, we are not averse to other ideas.

If possible could I please get some Brisbanites to confirm whether Camp Hill is a top place to live for a family (we have 2 kids) and what other suburbs we should be looking at.

Thank you in advance.

Deci

2. Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman Well-Known Member

I would add Indooroopilly, taringa and Toowong to your list . Nice and leafy (close to mt Coot-tha) and great schools in the area and nice shopping centres (Toowong is about to get a new town centre development and Indooroopilly is a nice shopping centre). Range from about 4-7km from city amongst those suburbs and you would still get something nice in your price range , all 3 have train stations and Toowong has a city cat

Mixed-use Toowong Town Centre 'The Aviary' gets green light

3. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Camp Hill is a good suburb, but do you want to walk to the train station? You won't get that in Camp Hill but obviously will get it in the surrounding areas.

And what is the budget?

4. Patrick Bateman

$1.6m it’s in the topic heading

5. Gen-Y

Gen-Y Well-Known Member

That kind of money - look at Hawthorne. ‘it’s the next swanky suburb next to the expensive Bulimba.

luckyone and Codie like this.
  6. Patrick Bateman

Be aware of the aircraft noise though especially when flights are back to normal

Parkzilla likes this.
  7. Gen-Y

Gen-Y Well-Known Member

The aircraft noise never stop the house price appreciation in the area.

8. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Oops - thought I saw a figure, then read the post and figured I was imagining it. Didn't think to look at the heading again. :p

Patrick Bateman likes this.
  9. Patrick Bateman

He’s living in the house though it may hurt his and his families quality of life , some people find it unbearable others don’t have an issue , it’s something he should definitely be aware of though .

craigc and Parkzilla like this.
  10. ChrisP73

ChrisP73 Well-Known Member

Firefly99 likes this.
  11. Firefly99

Firefly99 Well-Known Member

I’d also look around Camp Hill with that budget. Should be able to get something pretty nice.

ChrisP73 and Parkzilla like this.
  12. Parkzilla

Parkzilla Well-Known Member

We just secured a 5/3/2 in Camp Hill with nothing to do (went unconditional on Friday) within your budget. 607 sqm block. North west quadrant of the suburb, but not really walking distance to a train station.

Very happy with it. Benefitted hugely with the assistance of a BA @Andrew Allen

standtall and Patrick Bateman like this.
  13. Codie

Codie Well-Known Member

We own and lived in Hawthorne for 2yrs. The flight noise was a non issue for us

It’s not that loud and you barely notice after awhile.

In saying that all though it’s our fav suburb, for that budget you will get a lot more out of camp hill.

14. Patrick Bateman

Were you there since the second runway opened ? I have a friend in balmoral and it has been atrocious since the second runway due to new flight paths etc

craigc likes this.
  15. standtall

standtall Well-Known Member

Camp Hill is an excellent choice. Find something between Martha st cafe precinct and the old Cleveland road for easy access to city and bonus points if you can find a house with city views but this pocket is tightly held so you may have to wait.

Edit: With such excellent bus connectivity (city buses as frequent as 4-5 minutes) and only 10 minutes to South bank, you don’t need trains.

luckyone, ChrisP73 and Parkzilla like this.
  16. Codie

Codie Well-Known Member

Yep right up until Christmas recently. Balmoral i can understand being elevated and a lot closer to the plane, that would prob appear a lot more noisy and directly under the plane.

Hawthorne/bulimba closer to the river seems fine.

17. Decimator4000

Decimator4000 Member

I really like those areas too. The only thing I've found is that for $1.6m you still have to complete a reno on the property. In saying this, I love the access to the city via the bike path. I like where your head is at. Thanks for your thoughts.

18. Decimator4000

Decimator4000 Member

Love Hawthorne, like Toowong, the properties are being sold for more than $1.6m at the moment. Perhaps I need to wait until this heat in the market cools down. Unfortunately, I need to find a place for my family by next month.

19. Decimator4000

Decimator4000 Member

Two of these properties we have signed up for the Auction. I would love to know your thoughts on the prices they may go for; anyone for that matter. Or the value you see in each of these properties.

20. Patrick Bateman

Nah mate you can get something real nice for $1.6m in Toowong still , there’s just not much stock at the moment

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia