Brisbane population change question

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by Kangaroo, 1st Aug, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Kangaroo

Kangaroo Well-Known Member

Property price is very much dependent on the population growth.

Can any veteran shed some light on why QLD attracted so many people in early 2000 ?

Was it because Brisbane was better and/or Syd/Melb was worse ?

Mining boom did not even started back then, I am not sure.

There was a tech boom/bust around 2000. I only remember there was a constant ad running all the time in TV in late 90s, "Beautiful one day, Perfect the next".

2. radson

radson Well-Known Member

3. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

4. Kangaroo

Permanent population growth is indeed the demand side growth.

Housing supply is different from other stock oversupply since houses, once built, will stand there for 100 years, more or less. Crop oversupply only last a year or two since farmers can growth much less next year if oversupplied. You can not do this with properties. It depends on the new population to absorb the the excess stock.

5. radson

radson Well-Known Member

I think the inner city Perth, Melbourne and Brisbane apartment supply will be good examples of the supply side of the equation of market prices over the next couple of years.

6. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

That's easy!

People were complaining that Sydney was unaffordable at the time, so they went somewhere cheaper to live. Somewhere with warmer winters thrown in for good measure. They did the same thing in the 80s and 90s too. Don't know where the hordes crossing the border are this time around. Probably some footage on the TV about floods scared them all away. That, or the current generation of people priced out of Sydney would rather stay there and commute from Newcastle.

samiam, EN710, Blueskies and 4 others like this.
  7. See Change

See Change Well-Known Member

spot on angel .

Interesting how many people are now complaining that Sydney is unaffordable now ....

Cliff

Kangaroo likes this.
  8. Kangaroo

People were complaining that Sydney was unaffordable at the time, so they went somewhere cheaper to live................Was this the only reason ? Were there any more jobs of some sort of significance in Brisbane than Syd/Melb ?

9. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Blame the baby boomers moving to warmer climes.

10. timetoact

timetoact Well-Known Member

I think it is the lack of jobs this time around.
    However I can't say I have any data to back up what the jobs situation was previously.

Propin likes this.
  11. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

There wasn't the mining element last time around. Rather, there was an abundance of tourists. There were lots and lots of jobs in or related to tourism. Fun jobs, casual jobs, serious jobs.
    The GFC put a stop to that and at the same time jobs went to mining - not city-centric.
    Now that mining is bust, employment figures aren't looking good.
    Take heart. It will turn around, just taking longer than we'd all like.
    I hope to move up there soon.
    And yes, I would say people are still cautious with the flooding.

12. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

I have little knowledge about jobs other than Expo in 1988 and where I live, the Professionals have moved on and been replaced with Tradies from Sydney and Melbourne, "cashed up bogans". I met hordes of folk in the 90s when their kids started school with my kids and we were the only family in the class who were raised in Brisbane ourselves.

In the 90s, our new friends were often public servants, police officers, ambos and nurses who moved up from Sydney because the pay was pretty much the same but the housing costs much lower. In the 80s, everyone we knew who moved to Qld was on the dole and chided us for running a business when we could have spent all day at the beach like they did. In the Naughties "everyone" we met seemed to be in IT.

EN710, Whitecat, Kangaroo and 2 others like this.
  13. Ed Barton

Ed Barton Well-Known Member

I won't go anywhere near Newcastle due to the earthquakes.

Pumpkin likes this.
  14. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Yeah

:rolleyes:

Last edited: 4th Aug, 2016
    Pumpkin likes this.
  15. Kangaroo

Thanks for the info. It looks like the the reasons of people moving from Syd/Melb to Brisbane in 90/early 2000 had nothing to do with mining boom. It was simply the cashed up hordes. It also looks like the reasons also apply today. In this case, Brisbane will boom , hopefully !

Whitecat likes this.
  16. JK200SX

JK200SX Well-Known Member

Most likely businesses/ corporations moving up from the south.
    During the 1990's I worked for CRA (now known as Rio Tinto). There head office was on Collins St Melbourne. Around 2000 they moved headquarters to the Brisbane CBD. This probably happened with many other large companies?

Kangaroo likes this.
  17. Whitecat

Whitecat Well-Known Member

May get some New Zelanders too perhaps. Auckland is very expensive now and other parts of nz are quite small with limited jobs.
    My sister a clinical psychologist and engineer partner think Brisbane is the way to go for them due to house prices too high in Sydney Melbourne. But still bne is about the same size as Auckland. Still lots to do socially plus beaches not too far.
    I heard this through my mum. I haven't talked to them at all so it's interesting they came to that conclusion from their own analysis over there.

Kangaroo and big max like this.
  18. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

When I talk about Cashed up Bogans coming to family-friendly Albany Creek on the northern fringe of Brisbane, they weren't exactly high income earners in Sydney, just average mortals. They talked of being unable to afford their desired lifestyle so took advantage of their first homes booming in value and sold up, often for double the original price. Plenty were able to buy almost debt free up here on the equity they now had after paying off the loan. With plenty of building all up the coast there was work available with tiny mortgages and cash each week to buy more toys.

19. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Brisbane had a much lower cost of living.
    Even had a fuel subsidy until a few years ago.
    Everything was noticeably cheaper, from the old Joh days - keep the people happy and you can do what you want.

Kangaroo and WattleIdo like this.
  20. samiam

samiam Well-Known Member

Great. It will be all mine:p

WattleIdo likes this.