QLD Brisbane my top picks and why

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by seanbrissy, 2nd Nov, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Jeah_

Jeah_ Well-Known Member

Yeah, I was referring to Woodridge. I only surfed around on google street view, but I remember there being a doctors, chemist, IGA, chiro, fruit market and a few Asian grocers and the like.

2. Special order

Special order Well-Known Member

How can you see the local market performing over the next 3-4 years?

3. Frazz

Frazz Well-Known Member

Hi @seanbrissy, welcome ☺

Good post, always great to hear from locals of an area. Great information!

I struggle with the notion of de-prioritising the requirement of train / public transport access in Brisbane when searching for property. Yes, it might be valid that public transport does not factor as high priority for all Brisbanites right now - however considering future population growth, congestion on roads, etc, this can only become more critical as time goes on?

Interestingly though , when looking at Sydney and its satellite CBD's, all are connected via train network. While in Brisbane, with Chermside as an example, there is no train access (though it is very well connected via bus services).

4. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

You bet public transport - trains, busses etc are an important driver - proximity to it is what makes a significant amount of the location component of it.

KayTea likes this.
  5. Pier1

Pier1 Well-Known Member

Woolstore...... ask the owners what they think of the $40k special strata fee that is needed every time it rains and the roof leaks.

6. seanbrissy

seanbrissy Well-Known Member

I totally agree that public transport should be a high priority in Brisbane, however the reality is that our current system is poorly planned, funded and way behind many other cities in terms of cost reliability and access to make it effective.

Frazz likes this.
  7. seanbrissy

Wow ? that sux.... I was in a similar situation when I had owned a unit in Coorparoo, hence another reason NOT to buy into a unit. :)

8. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Ouch.
    And the people under apartments with sub standard sound insulation.

9. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

Yes.. and I believe this will help drive more demand for inner city than acerages in Ipswich or wherever.. Cost of PT is also another factor.. It's expensive compared to the other capitals.

10. seanbrissy

These are my picks in the next price point closer to the city, please note:
    650k should comfortably get you into a well established suburb close to good schools, infrastructure, and public transport. These suburbs have all experienced growth, however it's not to say you still can't make money, they money is made in buying the property not selling.

Northside sub 650k

Kedron, Stafford, Stafford Heights, Mitchelton, Chermside, Aspley, Enoggera, Geebung, Nundah

Westside sub 650k
    Graceville, Sherwood, Corinda

Eastside sub 650k
    Morningside, Cannon Hill, Norman Park, Camp Hill, Carina, Carina Heights

Southside sub 650K
    Holland Park, Holland Park West, Greenslopes, Coorparoo, Mount Gravatt, Mount Gravatt East, Upper Mount Gravatt, Mansfield, Wishart, Annerley, Moorooka, Runcorn, Sunnybank Hills, Eight Mile Plains, Tarragindi, Wooloongabba

Please note 650k is a general price point at buying into these suburbs, and there is of course variations in suburb pricing and depending what type of house your buying, an example is: a house in Holland Park West with city views facing north will probably be closer to 1 million, same with a house in Camp Hill with city views.

Taku Ekanayake and JDP1 like this.
  11. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

Good summary, like your southside centred perspective haha. Sub 650k won't buy you much in Norman Park or Sherwood either.
    If I was looking at Stafford Heights I would want to spend a bit less, same with Runcorn.
    Yields aren't quite as good at this price point.

12. dan2101

dan2101 Well-Known Member

C'mon Sean how doesn't keperra get a run! 10kms from the CBD and still under 500k!

Aspley, geebung and Stafford heights have obviously moved quite a bit as they were on my radar when I was purchasing and my budget was sub 500k.

13. seanbrissy

It will you just have to be quick

Sold Price for 285 Bennetts Road Norman Park Qld 4170
    Sold Price for 68 Macrossan Avenue Norman Park Qld 4170
    Sold Price for 97 Plumer Street Sherwood Qld 4075

However it won't be long until they're are out of this price point.

I agree you can get closer into the city North and South for that price, however I don't think they should be excluded as both suburbs present good buys sub 500-550k is more the sweet spot.

14. seanbrissy

Apologies Keperra is certainly included in this pool, if your getting specific on Keperra I'd say even sub 500k pricing is more the range.

15. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

That's a decent overview, I appreciate your opinion Sean, but for semi-pro investors, $650k should get them into Newmarket, not by luck, but by knowing a bargain when they see one. The other suburbs it's not that great.

16. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

PS I wish I bought in Newmarket at $650k before the price rises ;)

17. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

The Macrossan ave property was an excellent buy with city views! The Bennetts rd one is also good but but that rd is quite busy.
    Sherwood is expensive and upmarket, earlier this year I had a look at a few places and many were around the 700-800k mark, that listing is close to oxley creek, it might be okay, small block but nicely renovated.

18. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

Holy crap! Looks like a great position!

19. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

Yes, I like Runcorn and Stafford but would want to spend no more than 550k if possible.

20. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

I'm more than a little suprised by this and wondering why it didn't sell for more.