Brisbane max height and storeys

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Boyo, 16th Sep, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Boyo

Boyo New Member

Hi,

Am planning on lifting an existing Queenslander on a sloping block where street is approx 1.4m higher than the level at the back of the house. We would like to raise it sufficiently for the bottom floor to be at street level. This means that there would a 1.4m high void under the house on a large area. We'd still be under the max 9.5m limit but I'm wondering how to interpret the 2-storey limit.

Am I reading it right that anything over 1m is considered a storey and that raising the house this high would make it a 3-storey dwelling? That space would not be closed obviously.

Sounds strange. Am I missing something? Anyone have experience with this situation?

Many thanks.

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

There are three levels townhouses in the same street we were not allowed to build three level townhouses.

I know that is different to a house, but what I'm trying to say is that rules change and what someone might answer here might have changed. I'd call BCC as a start and talk to a town planner for free.

3. Coxy89

Coxy89 Well-Known Member

A storey is defined in the QDC as an enclosed space between two floors. Have had issues with BCC worrying about undercrofts if there is a slab on ground then classing that as a storey even if not enclosed

If it is a qlder on posts and no slab with a 1.4m undercroft I wouldn't expect it to be classed as 3 storeys.

4. Boyo

Boyo New Member

Thanks folks. I'm getting a survey done to confirm the different elevations and will talk to certifier once I have the plans. I just wanted to check here while waiting as the comments are generally in the ballpark.

The bottom floor currently has an in-fill slab but that will all be demoed once we start the lift and rebuild. Fingers crossed this remains straightforward...

5. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

After lifting and repositioning two houses and now building townhouses, believe me, nothing remains straightforward... :D:p

And whatever price you have in your head... double it. ;)

Boyo likes this.