QLD Brisbane Market 2020

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Alex123711, 22nd Jan, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Yeah I guess it depends on who you run into - as mentioned, its just the people I've come across. For the record, I do like Brisbane (more than Melbourne). My list in terms of preference:

1. Syd
    2. Bris
    3. GC/Byron
    4. Canberra
    5. Noosa and surrounds

2. Mulianto

Mulianto ~~

Come on, Melbourne is not that bad. It’s very vibrant, coffee culture, beautiful parks. The traffic jam not as bad as Sydney and the roads are much neater than Sydney!

But at the moment, it’s just not investable even at current low rates because for most properties, it’s cheaper to rent than to buy. I just saw this morning Camberwell 2.5 m worth property renting out for only 750 per week!

While Brisbane is the other way round... for most properties, it’s cheaper to buy than to rent. This is the main factor driving up prices in Brisbane at the moment. Josh has strongly giving us the confidence, interest rate is gonna stay low for long and longer!

Last edited: 30th Oct, 2020
  3. Firefly99

Firefly99 Well-Known Member

I love Sydney. If I was a multi, multi millionaire I’d live there. But I’m not, so I live on the Sunshine Coast where I was able to afford a very nice home with stunning views and only 100m from a gorgeous secluded beach. In Sydney that budget would get me a 2 bed apartment....

4. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

Interesting comments! I moved from Brisbane to Perth for lifestyle, kids careers, husband has always earnt more here. When we lived in Bris I had to work part-time. I don’t think Eastern Staters realise WA exists.

5. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Where's Perth?

Jokes aside, I've only been there once on a quick work trip. Should make a special visit one of these days.

Last edited: 30th Oct, 2020
    Propin likes this.
  6. Firefly99

Firefly99 Well-Known Member

I think WA-ers like it that way ;) aren’t you guys gearing up to become a separate country ;)

Propin likes this.
  7. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

haha, yes the luckiest country!

8. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

Found out my cousin sold her only IP today (Algester). She's a single mother, could have used the money that'll come from a boom. Christ I wish she had consulted me first :(

9. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

Well she probably had my property manager and couldn't take any more!! Yes I just sold 'subject to' in the next suburb

10. milobear

milobear Well-Known Member

Did she at least get a decent price? Algester has been quiet for the last couple of years, but I think it's starting to move up.

11. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

Meh. 20% I think for a ~8 year hold. Sure a profit is a profit, but given we're all expecting more growth I really wanted a better outcome for her.

Propin likes this.
  12. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

I think the area has underperformed too and in the cusp of some growth. So much action in the first 10k’s. If my sale doesn’t go through I will rent it for another 1-2 years then sell

13. Heinz57

Heinz57 Well-Known Member

Yes I’m hanging on in Algester but not forever.

14. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

My feeling is that the market is at its best now that it will be for the next few years, so she probably made a good decision :)

Propin likes this.
  15. MelindaJennison

MelindaJennison Brisbane Buyer's Agent & QPIA Business Member

I'm sure many of you saw yesterday with the Corelogic data being released that Brisbane House prices have reached the highest price ever with 0.6% growth over the month which account for 4.3% over the last 12 months...
    tempsnip1.png
    Whereas Unit prices retracted over the month (and the last 12 months is also down):
    tempsnip2.png
    This is Greater Brisbane Data ... at a LGA level and a Suburb Level there have been pockets of under and overperformance of course.

luckyone, Codie and BigRed like this.
  16. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

Do you happen to know where we can find data down to LGA or suburb levels?

Angel and Propin like this.
  17. db9

db9 Well-Known Member

I think SQM research has this. Fair bit of free into and some paid. Although I’m not sure how reliable this type of data is down to suburb level as with low volumes the data can be skewed easily. I guess maybe if it’s a suburb with uniform stock then the data would be more reliable? I would recommend just hitting the ground for suburb level but this is just the view of an enthusiastic amateur.

temporun likes this.
  18. MelindaJennison

MelindaJennison Brisbane Buyer's Agent & QPIA Business Member

Here is LGA Level Data ...
    We pay for suburb level data so won't share that Capture.JPG

luckyone likes this.
  19. fols

fols Well-Known Member

^ So Logan outperforming BCC? The world's gone mad, next minute you'll try and tell me Donald Trump is the President of the USA :confused:

20. boganfromlogan

boganfromlogan Well-Known Member

Scenic Rim outperformed Logan, which outperformed Brisbane ..... Does this mean the ripple effect is from the fringes into the centre? That would be the COVID effect.