QLD Brisbane Market 2020

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Alex123711, 22nd Jan, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Alex123711

Alex123711 Well-Known Member

Any thoughts on the Brisbane property market in 2020?

2. Lindsay_W

Lindsay_W Well-Known Member

3. Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman Well-Known Member

I think it has extremely good prospects over the next 3 -5 years . This year could see 5-10% growth in houses in quality areas

4. samiam

samiam Well-Known Member

5. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I just pulled up the BOQ app details for this and it sold for $1m two years ago. The format is different on the report and I cannot see what the UCV for the block is. But those views... (are worth money).

My thought was that someone might bulldoze this, build two levels and get fabulous views, unlikely to be lost.

samiam likes this.
  6. djyella

djyella Well-Known Member

Nice view!

Plus there’s not a plethora of 600m2+ blocks that close to city.

samiam likes this.
  7. samiam

samiam Well-Known Member

They sold at a loss then
    I thought there wont be many who want to pay well above 1mil to buy in Moorooka. I am happy if they do!

8. Firefly99

Firefly99 Well-Known Member

That’s a lot for a rather crappy house in Moorooka I would have thought it would be worth $750-$800k at most. Have I been sleeping? Has Moorooka boomed?!

samiam likes this.
  9. 27649

27649 Well-Known Member

Brisbane apartment market has underperformed and will continue to under perform. Unless your investment is in MDR zone (5 storeys), these types of apartments are favoured more by owner occupiers. The inner middle rings will outperform other parts of Brisbane however entry point into these suburbs is around 800k for a house and 500k for a townhouse. Id certainly be looking at suburbs that border the inner middle ring parts of the inner north and inner east of Brisbane still within that 20-25km radius from the CBD. They seem to be more desirable and people are willing to pay a premium to live in these areas constantly driving up prices.

Areej likes this.
  10. milobear

milobear Well-Known Member

Apparently Bracken St is one of the desired streets in Moorooka. There were 10 active bidders on this property. I'm thinking there is a shortage of supply in the area as well. There were a few newly built also on Bracken that sold for $950k+ on 400m2 land.

11. Jockosaurus

Jockosaurus Well-Known Member

Moorooka (despite it's reputation as Little Africa) has some very desirable streets. Big block and city views that can never be built out- sounds like a fair price to me.

samiam likes this.
  12. MelindaJennison

MelindaJennison Brisbane Buyer's Agent & QPIA Business Member

This property sits at the highest point on Bracken St - so the elevation is scarce and clearly the view is uninterrupted. Other newer properties in this street on 600m2+ sites have sold for $1.4M in 2019 (#90) & $1.6M in 2014 (#92) so end values are proven for the scarcity. But it is very tightly held. Yes this property was purchased in 2018 for $1M then sold for $950K - not because the whole area has gone down in value but because they probably over paid in 2018.

13. samiam

samiam Well-Known Member

Could you list those streets?
    I think some part of Goodwin, Hillview, Northview Woodlea and La Monte streets?

14. boganfromlogan

boganfromlogan Well-Known Member

I am not familiar with the term that you use to describe Moorooka's reputation. In fact haven't ever heard it described that way. Wouldn't it be fairer to call it 'cosmopolitan' or 'diverse'. Or is it the case that there are lions, giraffe's and elephants actually roaming the savanah in Moorooka.

15. Firefly99

Firefly99 Well-Known Member

I don’t like the term but I’ve heard it used to describe Moorooka many times. There are lots of Africa shops and restaurants in the area. And a large portion is the population is of African descent.

The suburb even calls itself that.

Moorooka Is South Brisbane’s Little Africa - Moorooka News

gman65 likes this.
  16. Noobieboy

Noobieboy Well-Known Member

While I don’t agree with the term, I’ve heard it many times. I also was specifically told not to look at Moorooka as investment option due to rising crime rates. Statistics don’t support this perception. I couldn’t find anything that points to Moorooka being more dangerous or crime ridden than average.

I belive the poster is just highlighting the reputation that is fairly widely known in my experience.

gman65 likes this.
  17. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Many suburbs have similar make up from different countries and has always been that way.

I don't see it negatively.

Firefly99 likes this.
  18. Jockosaurus

Jockosaurus Well-Known Member

The elevated areas- mainly the Clifton Hill precinct and the streets adjacent to Toohey Forest.

samiam likes this.
  19. Nathan Prasad

Nathan Prasad Well-Known Member Business Member

I believe with prices at were they are at and interest from Sydney and Melbourne we are ready for a boom. One of the key drivers is affordability. Why is that a big thing... it is because it's not hard for a first home buyer to get into the market. Especially when lending gets easier we will start to see more first home buyers aiming to buy more expensive properties closer to the city. Long story short we have a large pool of buyers entering the Brisbane market. If you understand the local markets you'll know what suburbs to target.

20. Mulianto

Mulianto ~~