QLD Brisbane looks good

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Steven Ryan, 19th Jun, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Spot on, you can't make the numbers fit after the fact.

2. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

we need to stop the minibus rentals from the airport............ dem souferners are buying up all our value stuff

ta
    rolf

Jacque, cenz, Property Twins and 2 others like this.
  3. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

You really should. I want to move back one day.

4. Northy85

Northy85 Well-Known Member

The best thing we did was move down to Sydney. You really appreciate how much better and affordable the property is in Brisvegas. I thought prices were expensive up there and then I started paying $600/week rent for a **** 2 bedder 1 bathroom unit with 1 off street parking. North Bondi and we are 1.5km from the beach on a main road!

5. Property Twins

Property Twins Mortgage Brokers & Buyers Agents Business Member

Hi Gockie...not sure what the rules for your employer are however just as a word of caution I wouldn't post on data analysis done at work.......that's because everything is on record and it may not look good on you. Unless its already publicly available info. At least where I work we have stringent training around what we can say and what we can't

Last edited by a moderator: 21st Jun, 2015
    Gockie likes this.
  6. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Ta MsAli. Post altered. :)

7. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

Yes, this is an important point. Salaries in Brisbane cbd are about 10-15% lower than in Sydney cbd, yet comparable properties in Sydney are way more expensive [ far greater than 10-15%]. Therefore your income will get more like-to-like realestate in Brisbane over Sydney.

8. Darren A

Darren A Well-Known Member

9. 4point5million

4point5million Well-Known Member

The longer it stalls for the harder and faster it will rise, not sure if anyone here remembers the early 2000 boom, 6 months to double

bobbyj likes this.
  10. RPI

RPI SDA Provider, Town Planner, Former Property Lawyer

I agree. Last time it took a while to wind up. This time there was an initial flutter of craziness early on, now you don't have to offer within the 1st hour something lists, there is time to investigate and evaluate. Lots of agents I deal with a complaining that they can't get quality stock that is priced correctly but it hasn't translated in to across the board quick offers or anything yet. My thoughts are that we will wind up steadily till the end of next year (any major shock aside) and then it will either:
    1. Go Crazy
    2. Stand Still again and we would have had an upswing rather than a boom.

I am going with number 2 but then I have been wrong on this before. The number of purchases I didn't buy because I thought it had gotten too overpriced (the ~$200k purchases in Oxford St Bulimba that were just too expensive and I bought in Annerley instead especially hurt).

WattleIdo likes this.
  11. Grandview

Grandview Active Member

+ 1. Was up there a few weekends ago and most of the REAs commented at the number of NSW investors (myself included) that have been walking through the opens.

12. Darren A

Hi Grandview did you find something up there? Which areas were looking into?

13. Beyond Wealth

Beyond Wealth Well-Known Member

Hi Steven,

When I was looking to purchase in Brisbane in 2011 the reason I picked it over both Melb and Syd was there was a value discrepancy (Bris had much lower house values and better yields) however in hindsight I got the timing wrong and would have done much better purchasing in either Melb/Syd. I still believe in Bris long term though and you can't always get timing right.

What i think is a little different this time is the disparity is now massive - and investor money needs to find a home somewhere and most educated investors just won't be seeing the same value in Melb/Syd. I remember seech posting a while back about how investors have become much more sophisticated about where to purchase and when due to easy access to info on the net, forums, etc - it really seems Bris is the stand out on this basis atm. How much will that push it up though? Remains to be seen. Over the long term due to some of the other fundamentals you mentioned, i still think it has a lot of upside.

14. Steven Ryan

Steven Ryan Well-Known Member

There's always an element of uncertainty.

I was looking in Bris in 2012/2013 but picked Sydney over it. Worked out for me but could have gone the other way.

Brisbane fundamentals are looking very good now and I feel it will self-select as people are priced out of–and see less value in–Sydney/Melb. I am pretty confident it's only a matter of time for Brisbane.

I must be transparent though. With a few apartments in the inner west of Sydney, I have a nice cradle. This next purchase doesn't NEED to be a home run in year one.

Even if I my Brisbane purchase(s) don't perform well for a few years, the momentum in Sydney will carry forward for a little while yet and after I buy in Bris, I'm taking a break for a couple of years to build my business so I won't be able to to dip into equity again until mid 2017 at the earliest. Likely 2018 or later.

I believe it's true that investors are becoming more sophisticated. There's little excuse for buying poorly other than failing to utilise the information, tools and resources we have available now. If I didn't have the internet, I'd probably be buying in my backyard and nowhere else.

What will really get Brisbane going is after it's fired up and the media eventually catch wind.

Seal likes this.
  15. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

Yes, and the other thing that's different this time is that they have finally realised they meed a stronger non mining economy. It will take time to develop that but they are progressing . There are more non mining highly skilled(and higher salaries )jobs now on boards like seek.com than there were last yr, even 6 months back.

WattleIdo likes this.
  16. vbplease

vbplease Well-Known Member

Where I'm looking (inner North) there is sooo much demand. For well priced properties, 30-50 groups through the first open house.

One agent kindly invited us to an open house "before it hit the market", after narrowly missing out on a previous listing. At the "private" viewing there were 15 other groups :rolleyes:

17. Grandview

Grandview Active Member

Ended up going a high-set in Bracken Ridge with potential to build under. Was also looking at Boondall, Aspley, Taigum.

18. Darren A

Well done Grandview, congrats. Hope you do well out of it.

19. Darren A

This is spot on. Hopefully Brisbane is that home.

20. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

I see Brisbane as an outer Sydney suburb... all of Sydney proper has boomed, so just like the suburb to suburb ripple out effect; well, the ripples gone all through Sydney already so our money has to go somewhere and logically its now flowing to Brisbane.

Do you need help with investment strategies, don’t want to buy the wrong stocks, or you just need a regular income stream? We provide the research to ensure your investment selections achieve the goals. This is the value of advice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.