Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community

QLD Brisbane looks good

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Steven Ryan, 19th Jun, 2015.

1. Gockie

Gockie Jobseeking! SQL Developer Premium Member

Just re-reading what people wrote... North of Caboolture is a different proposition to the south of it. But in my mind, "Brisbane" still can expand, there's not the same land shortages as Sydney has. Sure, you are going further out, but apart from going higher density, that's how cities grow.

2. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

Other than a small area of land between Ormeau and Pimpama urban sprawl already stretches from Brisbane to Tweed Heads.
    Give it 5 years and the infill of new estates will create a really large urban area.
    Spare a thought for the local Koala population though.

3. Gockie

I have a house in the Redlands but have never seen a koala there :(

4. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

5. Foxy Moron

Foxy Moron Well-Known Member

Love everything I read about that guy Bran. Particularly like his resourceful in sticking it to the Ipswich City Council when he felt he was getting reamed on rates and land tax for under-developed land - see attached. A hero to all aggrieved Qld developers Lol.

Attached Files:

6. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

You might want to re-think this.

The Wagners built an airport in Toowoomba and called it 'West Brisbane' airport, even though Brisbane is 125kms away.

Brisbane West Wellcamp Airport - Wikipedia

Tells you how much the Wagners think Brisbane is going to BOOM!!!

I can see the day when we will have a Greater Brisbane, just like there is a Greater Sydney and a Greater Melbourne.

It shouldn't be too hard to do. One only needs to add two letters - Brisbane is already Great :) :)

7. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

RetireRich101 likes this.
  8. Whitecat

Whitecat Well-Known Member

I do now.
    It is quite popular with commuters and has an express train.
    I can understand why some people would say it's absolutely not Brisbane I totally get that. However I would also not be in a rush to correct people if they did class it as an outer suburb of Brisbane

9. Whitecat

Whitecat Well-Known Member

There used to be a lot in the Redlands and not that long ago.

10. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

I used to consider Beenleigh to Ipswich to Caboolture as "Brisbane" until I accessed Somersoft. I was corrected! I have sat through six years of being told that my properties in Pine Rivers (Moreton Bay) are not in Brisbane and will not share in any Brisbane growth. ????

11. Steven Ryan

Steven Ryan Mortgage Broker Business Plus Member

Agree with both of the above. Within the 5km ring, high end houses on 405sqm will sell for a mint, especially with city views. Capital intensive, so not for everyone, but if you can pick up the land and do the build for a reasonable price, margins look very good. Have seen some places go up in 3 months incl landscaping from experienced builders too.

I reckon Strathpine houses (highsets, at least) would have done closer to 10% in 2016. Have seen plenty of vals to support, along with the increase in offer amounts clients are needing to get stuff under contract.

Whitecat, Rolo and Leo2413 like this.
  12. Leo2413

Leo2413 Well-Known Member Premium Member

My builder is promising 4 months for the splitter. If I get anywhere close to that timeframe I would be willing to kiss him.

13. Steven Ryan

If you kiss him, please tell...

..me his contact details..

..and I will kiss you.

Observer, Melissa and Leo2413 like this.
  14. RetireRich101

RetireRich101 Well-Known Member

that's probably because it's coming off a negative increase in 2015...If we look at last 3 years it's just normal Brisbane average or similar to Logan non SES burbs..

Strathpine
    320k 2012
    335k 2013, 4.7%
    365k 2014, 9.0%
    359k 2015 -1.6%
    380k 2016 5.8%

Whitecat likes this.
  15. Steven Ryan

Shame you didn't post data going back further. Lots of clients who bought in Strathpine last year were paying about the same as vendor did 8 years earlier.

Whitecat likes this.
  16. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Good point Stevo.......bought mine for 301k for a quality property which is brick veneer with a fanstastic layout and nice pergola area.

I know others who bought less desirable properties about the same time (2015) for under 300k.

The stats above do not give a true indication of the price increases some have made. Using stats is a form of analysis paralysis which does not use without context and on the ground research.

Really comes down the maturity level of investors...some have not seen more than one cycle...

Whitecat likes this.
  17. RetireRich101

3 years..... just 3 years when you and I started buying Brisbane... no need to go back a century..

18. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

Thanks for the heads up.

If you guys are buying Brisbane, you will create a shortsge and the IPs that us B&H investors own will go up, creating a BOOM :) :).

Keep up the good work.

19. RetireRich101

LOL, so what's the local talking about in the meetup? it's was on tonight isn't it?

kierank likes this.
  20. Gockie

My feel having been here a bit longer now... buy inner Brissie houses... Only buy outer if that purchase has something going for it in particular (irresistible yields or has some sort of twist (views, potential, generous zoning)).

Brissie still has plenty of land in the outer areas, (and driving around in the northern areas has been fun, I love seeing the countryside), I can see land is not in any short supply. So sale prices of existing blocks in outer areas don't have so much demand to make them more expensive.

However if the properties are well located (near shops, transport, water, uni), that will be more in higher demand than properties that are simply in an non descript estate. I have seen that in new areas, land to building ratios are shrinking to the point where you wouldn't say they have a backyard. People go for the hugest house they can put on the land.

Leo2413, Blueskies and kierank like this.